A história

Snohomish County LST-1126 - História


Condado de Snohomish

(LST-1126: dp. 4.080 (f.) 1. 328'0 ", b. 50'0", dr. 14'1 "; v. 11,6 k. (Tl.); Cp ;. 119; a. 4 40 mm; cl. LST 1081)

O condado de Snohomish (LST-1126) foi estabelecido em 16 de novembro de 1944 pela Chicago Bridge & Iron Co. de Seneca, Illinois, como LST-1126; foi lançado em 9 de fevereiro de 1945 e partiu de Sêneca em 23 de fevereiro para navegar pelos rios Illinois e Mississippi até Nova Orleans. Lá, o LST-1126 foi comissionado em 28 de fevereiro de 1945, o tenente F. C. Helm, USNR, no comando.

Entre 1945 e 1960, o LST-1126 foi implantado no Pacífico ocidental oito vezes. Sua primeira missão ali ocorreu em abril de 1945, quando ela partiu de Nova Orleans, cruzou o Canal do Panamá, parou em San Diego, Seattle e Pearl Harbor, antes de continuar para o oeste. Como ela continuou sua viagem, ela visitou Eniwetok Atoll; Porto de Apra, Guam; Saipan e Okinawa. No final de setembro, ela se juntou às forças de ocupação pós-Segunda Guerra Mundial na China. Operando na costa oeste dos Estados Unidos a partir de San Diego quando não estava no oeste do Pacífico, o LST-1126 retornou ao Extremo Oriente em 1948, 1953, durante os invernos de 1945-55, 1957, 1958 e 1959-60. O LST também fez três viagens de reabastecimento da DEW Line para o Alasca em 1949, 1950 e 1953. Foi em 1 de julho de 1955, logo após seu retorno de seu quarto deslocamento para o oeste do Pacífico, que o LST foi denominado Condado de Snohomish (1926).

A designação permanente de um esquadrão LST para Yokosuka, Japão, fez com que a implantação do condado de Snohomish de 1959-60 durasse até a escalada da Guerra do Vietnã. Até 1964, ela operou em San Diego e fez dois cruzeiros MidPac em 1961 e 1962. O segundo cruzeiro foi em apoio à Operação "Dominic", uma série de testes nucleares. Após a conclusão desta tarefa, ela voltou às operações normais ao longo da costa do Pacífico.

Em 1965, a escalada americana no Vietnã começou para valer. Consequentemente, a necessidade de navios de apoio cresceu e o condado de Snohomish voltou ao Extremo Oriente mais uma vez. Ela fez períodos normais de serviço (cinco a sete meses de cada vez) em 1965, 1966 e 1967. Em 1968, ela foi enviada em uma missão prolongada que não terminou até a primavera de 1970, pouco antes de seu descomissionamento. Em cada uma dessas últimas implantações, o LST fez o circuito do Japão ao Vietnã para Subic Bay nas Filipinas. Na maior parte, ela transportava homens e suprimentos de bases americanas no Japão e nas Filipinas para o Vietnã; embora, ocasionalmente, ela recebesse outras atribuições, notadamente uma com operações ribeirinhas em 1968. Também havia portos de escala, como Hong Kong; e Keelung e Kaohsiung, Taiwan, onde a guerra poderia ser esquecida. Como no passado, o Snohomish Country retomou as operações, exercícios, exercícios e manutenção normais em e ao redor de San Diego quando não foi implantado no Extremo Oriente.

Em 22 de abril de 1970, o condado de Snohomish retornou ao seu porto de origem WestPac, Apra Harbor, Guam, e passou por uma inspeção e pesquisa. Ela foi declarada inapta para continuar o serviço naval. Em 1 de julho de 1970, ela descomissionou na Estação Naval, Guam, e seu nome foi retirado da lista da Marinha. Em janeiro de 1971, seu hulk foi vendido para a Chin Ho Fa Steel e Iron Co., Ltd. de Taiwan para demolição.

O condado de Snohomish (LST-1126) foi premiado com oito estrelas de batalha por servir na Guerra do Vietnã.


Everett and Snohomish County, Washington, Research Resources

Ao mergulhar na história mais recente de minha família, Snohomish County e Everett, Washington, e as áreas vizinhas desempenharam um grande papel não apenas em minha vida, educação e cultura, mas também em vários ramos de minha família, especialmente o Ocidente e os lados de Knapp.

A família West veio de Michigan para extrair madeira no noroeste do Pacífico, sobrevivendo em acampamentos de madeira na virada do século. Uma família de aventureiros, eles chegaram ao Mayflower e trouxeram a & # 8220civilização & # 8221 através do que se tornou os Estados Unidos. Embora não tenha deixado um grande impacto no condado de Snohomish, meu avô Howard W. West protegeu as águas do noroeste do Pacífico no mar e no interior durante toda a sua vida, servindo no novo USS Arizona 15 anos antes de Pearl Harbor, criando seus filhos em Marysville e mais tarde no Farol Friday Harbor, e morrendo como segurança do Chefe Joseph Dam.

A família Knapp de minha mãe foi forçada pela Depressão a deixar para trás sua amada, mas pobreza e lutas na comunidade madeireira de Taylor Rapids, Wisconsin, para a costa oeste, em busca de uma vida melhor. Sem saber nada além de extração de madeira, eles se juntaram aos campos de extração de madeira no Oregon até que um incêndio destruiu o pouco que lhes restava. Eles se mudaram para a região selvagem do condado de Snohomish para trabalhar na Fazenda de alface Frye em Monroe, depois as equipes de extração de madeira abriram estradas no sopé das montanhas florestadas para construir o que hoje é a Old Highway 2.

Dois dos irmãos Knapp se casaram com membros da família Elwell, descendentes do chefe Seattle. Robert Knapp ficou com sua esposa, Evelyn Elwell (de Charles Elwell e Laura Stillman), no Lago Stevens. Lloyd se casou com Irene Elwell e mudou-se para o leste de Washington. Wayne Knapp casou-se com um membro da família Odell de Snohomish, outra família dos primeiros herdeiros, fundindo ainda mais os nativos americanos com os imigrantes brancos.

O sogro, o capitão Elwell, contratou Robert e Wayne no rebocador, Skagit Chief, manobrando toras pelos traiçoeiros rios dos rios Snohomish e Skagit e Puget Sound. À medida que as estradas se abriam, cargas eram movidas das hidrovias e os dois irmãos Knapp encontraram empregos como guardas de segurança na Prisão Estadual de Monroe. Wayne logo mudou-se para Seattle, trabalhando seu caminho até o chefe da segurança da Boeing.

O condado de Snohomish tem uma longa história, que remonta aos nativos americanos. Everett, Washington, desempenhou um papel em ambas as Guerras Mundiais como um porto protegido para o oceano Pacífico. Recentemente, um canhão da Primeira Guerra Mundial foi encontrado no Clark Park em Everett na Lombard Avenue, embora não perdido no sentido de perdido para a história, mas desaparecido do parque em um mistério com mais de 10 anos. Ele foi encontrado em uma área de manutenção do parque, esquecido e ignorado. A cidade agora está tentando descobrir como restaurar e / ou proteger este playground para mim e as crianças escalarem e fingirem que estávamos lutando contra o inimigo na baía.

O Aeroporto Paine Field foi nomeado em homenagem a um piloto na Primeira Guerra Mundial, e a fábrica da Boeing em Mukilteo, a sudoeste de Everett, continua a ser um dos maiores prédios em um andar do mundo, bem como um importante impulsionador da economia mundial e do transporte sistema. A baía de Port Gardner, antes cheia de troncos arrancados do sopé do Monte Pilchuck e por todo o condado de Snohomish, ainda hospeda os restos da fábrica de papel, parte do que tirou Everett da Grande Depressão quando a extração secou. Ele agora é superado pela nova marina e base naval ao lado.

Everett era uma encruzilhada para transporte em todas as direções. Do mar às montanhas a leste pela Rodovia 2, mais tarde complementada pela Rodovia North Cascades conectando a parte noroeste da área com o Leste de Washington durante as épocas transitáveis ​​do ano. Ao norte fica Vancouver, Canadá, ao longo da Interstate 5, e ao sul, ao longo da mesma rodovia, fica a cidade industrial de Seattle e pontos além, até o México.

Desde os primeiros anos, Everett e o condado de Snohomish desempenharam um papel crucial na vida dos nativos americanos, pois eles foram reunidos e realocados na Reserva Tulalip, lar não dos índios Tulalip, mas um ponto de terra considerado terreno baldio por funcionários do governo ao longo as planícies lamacentas de Port Gardner Bay e Puget Sound. Hoje, ele hospeda um dos Casinos e hotéis mais populares do estado, trazendo nomes populares do entretenimento e jogos de azar e bingo sem parar para todos.

Há muita história para descobrir em Everett e no condado de Snohomish, para mim e para minha família. Embora Everett, Washington, tenha sua própria página na Wikipedia, recomendo que você reserve um tempo para ler Mill Town: A Social History of Everett, Washington, de seus primeiros primórdios nas margens de Puget Sound ao Tragic and I (Washington Papers), de Norman H. Clark para aprender mais sobre esta região incrível e sua história.

O Google tem uma linha do tempo de história de pesquisa fascinante de Everett, Washington. É um pouco enganoso porque existe Everett, Massachusetts, e muitas pessoas chamadas Everett como nome e sobrenome, e muitas referências a George Washington, que deu nome ao estado, e um Edward Everett de Washington DC e George Washington história, portanto, os resultados que remontam a 1760 estão relacionados a artigos publicados sobre esses tópicos não relacionados. No entanto, existem algumas joias históricas nas referências publicadas na web cobrindo os distúrbios de Bellingham de 1907, que mais tarde migraram para a Cadeia de Everett, o Massacre de Everett (uma disputa trabalhista que se tornou mortal em 1916), o incêndio no tribunal de 1909, anúncios da empresa e notícias, vendas e desenvolvimento de propriedades, muitos obituários, biografias, documentos governamentais e muito mais.

Um tesouro que descobri por meio da pesquisa da linha do tempo do Google foi um anúncio no Great Lakes & # 038 Seaway Shipping News Archive de setembro de 2007:

No sábado, 19 de setembro de 1891, às 11h, o navio baleeiro CHARLES W WETMORE partiu da Filadélfia, Pensilvânia, carregado com os materiais para construir uma fábrica de pregos, fundição de ferro e estaleiro para a nova cidade de Everett, Washington. Seu capitão era o capitão Joseph B. Hastings e ela tinha uma tripulação de 22 pessoas.

Uma das ruas principais de Everett, ao longo da qual morava meu tataravô, Perry West, é Wetmore. Eu não sabia que um navio a vapor fora batizado em homenagem ao homem e como esse nome fez parte da história de Everett.

Aqui está uma lista de referência de alguns dos locais históricos que eu encontrei on-line que ajudam a contar a história e a história da área.


HistoryLink.org

A tribo Snohomish compreendia a maior população nativa americana nesta área do condado. Eles moravam ao longo das margens de Puget Sound, de Warm Beach a Richmond Beach e ao longo do rio Snohomish até Monroe. Os Stillaguamish (Stoluck-wha-mish) viviam ao longo das bifurcações norte e sul do rio Stillaguamish, perto dos atuais Stanwood the Skykomish (Skai-wha-mish), ao longo do rio Skykomish, agora Sultan e ao norte de Index the Sauk- Suiattle (Sak-ku-me hu) na área que agora é Darrington e Snoqualmie (Suqualmoo) perto dos atuais Duvall e Monroe. As tribos falavam Lushootseed, a maioria usando o dialeto do norte, e seguiam o ciclo tradicional de pesca, caça e coleta.

Hibulb (também hibulob ou Hebolb) era sua aldeia principal. Situado na ponta norte da atual península de Everett, Hebolb foi orientado tanto para o rio Snohomish quanto para a baía de Port Gardner. Uma paliçada de cedro defendia os aldeões contra tribos em guerra.

Exploração Européia e Americana

O capitão britânico George Vancouver (1757-1798) desembarcou na praia ao sul de Hebolb em 4 de junho de 1792, reivindicando a região de Puget Sound para o Rei George III e nomeando locais próximos, incluindo Puget Sound, Port Gardner Bay e Port Susan Bay. Vancouver não observou o rio Snohomish, mas os registros da Baía de Hudson o listam em 1824 como "Sinnahamis". O rio foi mapeado como "Tuxpam" pela expedição do governo dos EUA de Charles Wilkes (1798-1877) em 1841. A forma atual "Snohomish" data do U.S. Coastal Survey de 1854.

Em 22 de janeiro de 1855, o governador Isaac Stevens (1818-1862) e 81 líderes tribais se reuniram em Point Elliott (agora Mukilteo) para assinar um tratado entre as tribos regionais e o governo dos EUA. O chefe Snoqualmie Patkanim (ca.1808-1858) representou os bandos Snohomish, Snoqualmie e Skykomish, cedendo suas terras em troca de dinheiro, caça e direitos de pesca e uma reserva estabelecida em Tulalip. O padre católico francês, padre Eugene Casimir Chirouse (1821-1892), foi designado para Tulalip em 1856, estabelecendo a missão de St. Anne e um colégio interno do governo.

Liquidação inicial de branco

O assentamento Tulalip Bay de 1853 foi descrito como o local de nascimento do Condado de Snohomish. O pioneiro da Ilha Whidbey, John Gould (1823-1900), o caçador da Baía de Hudson Peter Goutre (1804-1875) e Jehial Hall conquistaram reivindicações ao longo da Baía de Tulalip (agora parte da Reserva Tulalip). Charles C. Phillips (1824-1867), que dirigia um serviço de correio de canoas, e o pioneiro de Seattle, Dr. Wesley Cherry (? -1854), juntaram-se a Gould na criação da Tulalip Mill Company e começaram a operar uma serraria movida a água. Hall concedeu água, terra e acesso à madeira às suas terras em troca de uma parceria na usina. A aventura durou pouco: Cherry foi morta por índios no ano seguinte, e a Reserva Tulalip foi formada neste local.

Na esperança de controlar a agitação indígena após o tratado, a Companhia I, Primeiro Regimento de Voluntários do Território de Washington, sob o comando do Coronel Isaac Ebey (1818-1857), foi despachada para construir um forte no rio Snohomish. Os homens embarcaram na escuna Trask em novembro de 1855 e foram rebocados pelo navio a vapor Viajante para uma pequena ilha na cabeça de Ebey Slough, cerca de uma milha a sudeste de Lowell. Aqui, os homens ergueram um edifício de madeira de cedro rudimentar e batizaram-no de “Fort Ebey”. Eles se retiraram do local no início de 1856, após um inverno sem intercorrências.

Em 1860, o oficial alfandegário federal de Port Townsend, Morris H. Frost (1804-1882), construiu uma loja e um saloon em Mukilteo e convenceu Jacob Fowler (1837-1892) de Ebey’s Landing a se juntar a ele como parceiro de negócios. O pioneiro Emory C. Ferguson (1833-1911) explorou oportunidades ao longo do rio Snohomish e acabou se estabelecendo no que viria a se tornar a cidade de Snohomish. Ferguson mudou uma casa pré-fabricada para este local e tornou-se um residente permanente em 1860. Sua pequena casa ainda existe hoje.

À medida que a população crescia, os colonos locais solicitaram à legislatura territorial que desenvolvesse um condado separado, e o condado de Snohomish, originalmente parte do condado da ilha, foi formado em 14 de janeiro de 1861. Mukilteo tornou-se a sede do condado temporário até que uma eleição em julho o mudou para Snohomish.

Ricas terras agrícolas e fácil acesso à água atraíram colonos, e os assentamentos também começaram em Lowell, Monroe, Stanwood e Edmonds. À medida que o Estado de Washington se aproximava, Snohomish City era o centro cultural, financeiro e político do condado. A pequena comunidade agora incluía uma escola, uma biblioteca, uma coleção de ciências e até mesmo uma Sociedade Ateneu. Em 1876, o jornalista Eldridge Morse começou a publicar um jornal territorial muito respeitado chamado A Estrela do Norte.

Durante os anos territoriais de Washington, a península que se tornaria Everett foi explorada principalmente por empresas atraídas por suas árvores antigas e pela proximidade das fábricas em Port Gamble e Utsaladdy. Cerca de uma dúzia de homesteaders e posseiros escolheram este local também.

Em 1862, o recluso Dennis Brigham (1807-1887) se estabeleceu na baía. Erskine D. Kromer (1836-1885) passou a cultivar linhas telegráficas, ficou, reivindicou uma propriedade, casou-se com uma mulher de Coast Salish e começou a constituir família. Naquele mesmo ano, Jacob (1837-1916) e David Livingston (1830-1913) planejaram um empreendimento na baía (atual Harborview Park, Everett) e deram-lhe o nome de Western New York. Embora os irmãos Livingston tenham vendido apenas alguns lotes, eles construíram e operaram a primeira serraria movida a vapor do condado. No ano seguinte, Leander Taylor e Clarence Bagley abriram uma loja no local da Hebolb e construíram o saveiro Rebecca. Na década de 1870, Mukilteo se gabava de ter a Eagle Brewery, bem como a primeira fábrica de conservas de peixe no Território de Washington.

The Railroad, Gold Fever e Everett

O condado de Snohomish cresceu, assim como todo o noroeste do Pacífico, com a chegada da ferrovia. Em 4 de julho de 1889, Joseph Pearsall encontrou ouro e reivindicou Monte Cristo. Isso atraiu garimpeiros para a área e ajudou a solidificar os planos para o desenvolvimento de uma cidade industrial na baía de Port Gardner.

Na esperança de que a Great Northern Railroad tocasse a maré aqui pela primeira vez, o madeireiro de Tacoma Henry Hewitt Jr. (1840-1918) convenceu os investidores da Costa Leste, incluindo John D. Rockefeller (1839-1937), a investir na cidade que se tornaria Everett. Com o dinheiro Rockefeller na mistura, outros especuladores logo se juntaram, convencidos de que um empreendimento Rockefeller não poderia fracassar. Assim, a Everett Land Company foi formada e as equipes de trabalho começaram a limpar a terra no verão de 1891.

A economia de Everett foi desenvolvida em torno de quatro indústrias principais: uma fábrica de pregos, uma fundição, uma pechincha e uma fábrica de papel em Lowell. Mas o pânico prateado de 1893 interrompeu o boom e Rockefeller vendeu seus interesses. Quando a economia nacional melhorou em 1899, as propriedades da Everett Land Company foram transferidas para a Everett Improvement Company, financiada com dinheiro do magnata das ferrovias James J. Hill (1838-1916). Logo Everett tinha muitas serrarias e serrarias, siderúrgicas, estabelecimentos de construção naval, uma cervejaria, uma fábrica de farinha e uma fábrica de conservas à beira-mar. A Improvement Company também construiu parques municipais e um teatro.

Uma amarga controvérsia sobre a localização da sede do condado ocorreu entre a cidade estabelecida de Snohomish e a cidade de Everett. Essa controvérsia grassou de 1894 a 1897 por meio de votos públicos, apelações e decisões judiciais. Ambos os lados alegaram irregularidades na votação. Everett se tornou a sede do condado em 1897.

Trabalho, gestão e os progressistas

Em 1910, estimava-se que um quinto da população de Everett trabalhava nas fábricas, onde as condições de trabalho eram perigosas e duravam muitas horas. A ferrovia e a exploração madeireira representavam perigos iguais. Os sindicatos conquistaram desde cedo uma base sólida em Everett. Quando a primeira edição do Diário do Trabalho foi publicado em Everett em 26 de fevereiro de 1903, o jornal listou 31 sindicatos com um total de 2.500 membros em uma cidade cuja população total era de cerca de 10.000. Os sindicatos de cozinheiros e garçons, lavradores de roupas e fabricantes de cigarros incluíam mulheres em suas fileiras.

Os chefes da administração e da madeira eram fortes oponentes dos sindicatos, e o condado de Snohomish tornou-se um terreno fértil para a discussão de questões trabalhistas. Alto-falantes de caixa de sabão eram comuns, especialmente em Everett, onde havia muitos progressistas, até mesmo socialistas. O senador estadual John Campbell (1880-1924), um progressista de Everett e um Diário do Trabalho gerente, aprovou uma lei de 8 horas de trabalho para mulheres em Washington em 1911. A jornalista Anna Agnes Maley (1872-1918) chegou a Everett para editar o jornal socialista, o Comunidade, e permaneceu o tempo suficiente para concorrer a governador do Estado de Washington em 1912.

Os Trabalhadores Industriais do Mundo (IWW ou Wobblies) ganharam forte apoio nos campos de madeira do condado de Snohomish. Como um registrador dos velhos tempos expressou em uma entrevista de 1974: “Você quase tinha que entrar” (Wardell). Em Everett, no entanto, alguém se juntou ao perigo. Os membros do IWW foram colocados na lista negra, incapazes de encontrar trabalho nas fábricas. Quando os tecelões de telhas de Everett entraram em greve por causa dos salários, os Wobblies apoiaram. Os eventos culminaram em 5 de novembro de 1916, no Massacre de Everett, um confronto trabalhista entre o IWW e os legisladores do condado que deixou dois deputados e pelo menos cinco Wobblies mortos, com dezenas de feridos.

Primeira Guerra Mundial a 1929

A Primeira Guerra Mundial frustrou as esperanças dos radicais, e o condado de Snohomish apoiou solidamente o esforço de guerra. A economia predominante agora era pesada, com 130 serrarias e serrarias incluindo Weyerhaeuser, Clough-Hartley, Jamison, Index-Galena, Sultan Railway and Timber, Rucker Brothers Mill, Puget Mill Company (Pope e Talbot) e Merrill & Ring Logging . O terremoto de 1923 em Tóquio gerou um boom madeireiro no noroeste do Pacífico, tirando a região da recessão e estimulando o desenvolvimento que durou até a quebra do mercado de ações.

A base agrícola do condado de Snohomish também cresceu com a adição de laticínios e fazendas de ovos. Alderwood Manor foi criada quando a Puget Mill Company vendeu áreas de cinco acres e construiu uma fazenda de demonstração de ovos e aves. O Arlington Condensery começou em 1921 e funcionou até o final dos anos 1950.

Grande Depressão do Condado de Snohomish

Durante os tempos difíceis da década de 1930, relatórios do governo listaram o condado de Snohomish como um dos condados mais necessitados do estado. Sua economia pesada desabou. Mills fechou e reiniciou, apenas para fechar novamente. O condado de Snohomish foi rápido em se preparar para receber ajuda do governo por meio do National Industrial Recovery Act (NRA), da Works Progress Administration (WPA) e do Civilian Conservation Corp (CCC).

Os principais projetos incluíram a expansão do Parque Florestal de Everett, uma nova Biblioteca Pública de Everett, o Auditório Cívico de Everett e um aeroporto municipal, no início do Campo Paine. Os trabalhadores da CCC construíram grandes acampamentos em Darrington, Sultan e as estações de guarda do edifício de escritórios da Index the Verlot em Index, Barlow Pass, Bedal e Suiattle River e criaram o Distrito Ranger Monte Cristo.

Políticos de Washington

As décadas de 1920 e 1930 viram o surgimento de mulheres políticas, incluindo Alice Kerr (1858-1949) que se tornou prefeita de Edmonds em dezembro de 1925, três meses antes de Bertha Knight Landes (1868-1943) assumir o cargo de prefeito de Seattle.

O proprietário republicano da usina Roland H. Hartley (1864-1951) de Everett tornou-se governador em 1924 e cumpriu dois mandatos difíceis. Monrad C. Wallgren de Everett (1891-1961) foi eleito para a Câmara dos Representantes dos EUA em 1932. Concorrendo como New Dealer democrata, Wallgren foi reeleito para mais três mandatos na Câmara e, em seguida, para um mandato como senador dos EUA em 1940 e, em seguida, serviu como 13º governador do estado de Washington. Talvez o político mais influente do condado de Snohomish foi o democrata Henry M. Jackson (1912–1983) de Everett, cuja carreira no Congresso foi de 1940 até sua morte em 1983.

Segunda Guerra Mundial e crescimento pós-guerra

Após o bombardeio de Pearl Harbor, os cidadãos de Everett protegeram sua orla marítima, primeiro observando em turnos do topo do prédio do Medical Dental. A Everett Pacific Shipbuilding and Drydock Company, operada pela Pacific Car and Foundry de Seattle, começou a produção durante a guerra na orla de Everett em 1942. Everett Marine Ways, o Estaleiro Carl E. Edlund e o Estaleiro Stanwood contratados para construir navios para a Marinha como Nós vamos. O aeroporto de Arlington tornou-se uma base da Marinha, fornecendo caças Grumman para serviço no Pacífico. A Boeing Aircraft Company operava duas fábricas de montagem de aviões em Everett, empregando principalmente mulheres. Em 1943, Paine Field foi convertido em uma base militar.

O crescimento pós-Segunda Guerra Mundial no noroeste do Pacífico conectou rapidamente áreas rurais e pequenas cidades. A construção da rodovia ligou Stanwood, Snohomish e Monroe a Everett, Seattle, Tacoma e Bellingham. E cidades como Edmonds, Brier, Woodway, Mountlake Terrace e Lynnwood se expandiram, sufocando o que restava de Meadowdale e Alderwood Manor. Os limites de Bothell mudaram para o norte do Condado de King. Confinado por sua península, Everett se expandiu para o sul. o Everett Herald iniciou seu South County Bureau em maio de 1954. A madeira ainda dominava a economia, mas agora os madeireiros usavam serrarias portáteis e caminhões para transportar facilmente as toras para moagem.

A presença da Boeing

Em 1967, a Boeing começou a construir a fábrica do 747 perto do campo Paine de Everett, iniciando assim o rápido crescimento populacional no condado. A pequena cidade de Mukilteo passou por mudanças imediatas quando uma linha ferroviária íngreme foi construída através de Japanese Gulch, desde os trilhos da Great Northern na cidade velha de Mukilteo até o local da fábrica da Boeing.

Os residentes foram informados de que a nova indústria seria "à prova de recessão", mas a Boeing logo sofreu com os tempos difíceis em todo o país que começaram em 1970. A Boeing continuou a ter bons e maus momentos, mas continua sendo o maior empregador individual do condado.

Décadas recentes

Os problemas de crescimento têm dominado a vida da cidade e do condado desde os anos 1970. Muitas das terras agrícolas do condado foram vendidas para imóveis, e estradas outrora pitorescas se tornaram rodovias com números em vez de nomes. Quando um porto doméstico da Marinha de Everett foi planejado na década de 1980, um grupo de cidadãos se formou para se opor a esses planos. Mas a dispensa de 300 trabalhadores de Weyerhaeuser e seu anúncio de fechar as operações de Everett reuniram os eleitores para apoiar esmagadoramente a Estação Naval Everett, inaugurada em 1994.

Os ecologistas conseguiram preservar importantes zonas úmidas e habitats naturais do condado e, em 2006, o site do condado apresenta um estuário do rio Snohomish que suporta 350 tipos de pássaros, mamíferos e plantas. Um novo programa do condado foi implementado para salvar as terras agrícolas restantes e espaços abertos, e o governo do condado promove um programa de recuperação do salmão do rio Snohomish para salvar uma população cada vez menor de peixes.

Em 2006, o condado de Snohomish é uma das comunidades de crescimento mais rápido nos Estados Unidos. Sua economia é uma mistura de tecnologia, aeroespacial, negócios baseados em serviços, construção e turismo. O condado é o lar de três tribos indígenas americanas reconhecidas pelo governo federal, os Stillaguamish, os Sauk-Seattle e os Tulalip. Os Tulalips (originalmente as bandas Snohomish, Snoqualmie e Skykomish) se tornaram prósperos com seus cassinos e empreendimentos imobiliários. Eles planejam expandir o cassino, adicionar mais lojas, um hotel e um tão esperado museu tribal.

A Boeing atualmente está navegando em uma onda de prosperidade. Lynnwood está planejando permitir edifícios de 35 andares, e Snohomish está lutando para acomodar o crescimento necessário enquanto mantém seu caráter rural e histórico de bed and breakfast. Everett, com sua população de 101.100 habitantes em 2006, tem planos monumentais que incluem o zoneamento para empreendimentos de alta densidade no distrito comercial central e na orla marítima. Apesar dessas mudanças, ainda há um forte sentimento rural em muitas das cidades menores do condado de Snohomish, como Index, Granite Falls, Arlington, Verlot e Darrington. Os visitantes não precisam viajar muito para chegar a algumas das áreas recreativas mais pitorescas do estado de Washington.

White Horse Mountain de Darrington

Cartão postal cortesia da Biblioteca Pública Everett

Condado de Snohomish, Washington

Cortesia do Departamento de Agricultura dos EUA

Monte Cristo, 1896

Cortesia da coleção Cameron / Lindgren

High School, Snohomish, 1900

Extração de madeira no distrito de Wagner, condado de Snohomish, década de 1900

Cortesia da Biblioteca Pública Everett (Neg. 0212)

Farol de Mukilteo (Carl Leick, 1906), 1908

Foto de Robert J. Young, cortesia da Biblioteca Pública Everett (Neg. 0212)

Serraria Clough-Hartley, Everett, 1915

Cortesia da Biblioteca Pública Everett (Neg. JMills-Clough-Hartley)

Bacia Glaciar, Condado de Snohomish

Cartão postal cortesia da Biblioteca Pública Everett

Everett waterfront, ca. 1900

Postal Cortesia da Biblioteca Pública de Everett

Dia do Tratado, Reserva Indígena Tulalip, 1914

Foto de J. A. Juleen, cortesia da Biblioteca Pública Everett (Neg. JTreatyDay-9)

Plantação de árvores da Works Progress Administration, Forest Park, Everett, ca. 1935

Cortesia da Biblioteca Pública Everett (Neg. 1178)

Mount Index e Stevens Pass Highway, 1940

Edifício Administrativo, Reformatório do Estado, Monroe, década de 1940

Ponte Lincoln, Rio Stillaguamish, Arlington, séc. XX

Vagão da Hartford Eastern Railway em frente ao Big Four Inn, Big Four Mountain, início dos anos 1930


USS Snohomish County navega em um ex-marinheiro & # 8217s site

Exploda-me, éramos famosos. Havia um navio chamado USS Snohomish County (LST 1126).

Suboficial de 3ª classe Calhoun & ldquoBuddy & rdquo Benton serviu no navio de 1953 a 1957 como eletricista e companheiro de rsquos. O nativo da Carolina do Sul adora aquele navio antigo. Ele disse que espera um dia encontrar uma âncora ou sino para colocar em um museu em homenagem a este homônimo do condado.

Muitos navios anfíbios, como o Snohomish County, foram construídos durante esse período, mas nunca foram nomeados e foram desativados após a Segunda Guerra Mundial, e então vendidos ou doados a outros países, disse ele.

Durante a Segunda Guerra Mundial, disse Benton, foi decidido que um novo tipo de navio era necessário para a guerra anfíbia. Mais de 1.000 tanques de navios de desembarque foram construídos. Muitos deles foram usados ​​na invasão do Dia D de 1944 na Normandia, França.

Benton, que tinha 19 anos quando embarcou, compilou a história do navio, que serviu na Segunda Guerra Mundial e na Guerra da Coréia. Aqui estão alguns destaques:

1954: O navio fez sua quarta viagem ao oeste do Oceano Pacífico.

1955: 1º de julho de 1955 foi nomeado o condado de USS Snohomish (LST 1126). Esta foi a primeira vez que tanques de navios de desembarque receberam nomes.

Dan Bates / The Herald

1956: Fez sua quinta viagem ao Pacífico ocidental.

1957: Deixou seu porto de origem, San Diego, e rumou para o Japão.

1958: Organizou uma festa de Natal para um orfanato em Kure, Japão.

1959: Visitas ao porto incluíram Sasebo, Japan Subic Bay, Filipinas e Chin Hai, Coreia.

1960: Recebeu treinamento anfíbio em San Diego.

1961: Participou da Operação Greenlight, uma das maiores operações conjuntas de todos os tempos na Costa Oeste.

1962: Suprimentos transportados para um local de teste de bomba atômica. Embora a quilômetros de distância, alguns marinheiros puderam ver os efeitos das explosões nucleares na Ilha Christmas.

1963: Transportou 24.750 toneladas de veículos e equipamentos da Marinha e do Exército e 6.600 soldados, e percorreu 12.177 milhas, tudo sem perder um único compromisso.

1964: De volta do Havaí, retornou a uma agenda lotada de operações locais.

1965: O condado de Snohomish iniciou suas primeiras operações no Vietnã em março, entregando fuzileiros navais a Da Nang.

1966: Serviu no Japão, Havaí, China e Vietnã.

1967: Selecionado pelo Comandante da Atividade de Apoio Naval para participar do encalhe inicial de tanques de navios de desembarque na Bacia do Rio Cua Viet, perto de Dong Ha, Vietnã.

1968: visitou Newport, Oregon, recebendo 2.500 visitantes a bordo durante o Dia da Lealdade.

1969: Mais tempo no Vietnã, Japão e Filipinas.

1970: Em 28 de fevereiro, o condado de USS Snohomish comemorou seu 25º aniversário de serviço contínuo.

Em 22 de abril de 1970, o navio deixou o Japão com destino a Guam em sua última viagem. Após a chegada em Guam, o condado de Snohomish foi declarado impróprio para o mar. Foi desativado em 1 de julho de 1970 e vendido para sucata para a Chin Ho Fa Steel & # 38Iron Co. Ltd. de Taiwan.

"Não há tanques de navios de desembarque na Marinha", disse Benton. & ldquoO último foi dado há alguns anos. & rdquo

A pesquisa de Benton & rsquos está disponível em http://lst1126.com. Ele gostaria que seu site fosse vinculado ao site do condado de Snohomish e à seção de história do rsquos para que as pessoas pudessem aprender sobre o navio, disse ele.

Em junho, no Condado de Whitfield, Geórgia, artefatos do Condado de USS Whitfield serão doados a um grupo que planeja exibir o sino do navio e rsquos, um modelo e sua história.

“Seria bom se o condado de Snohomish fizesse algo semelhante”, disse Benton.

Provavelmente é tarde demais para pegar o sino ou a âncora, mas podemos preservar a memória do navio.


HistoryLink.org

Snohomish, localizada no condado de Snohomish, é uma pequena cidade de 9.000 habitantes, pitorescamente situada na encosta da margem norte do rio homônimo. Fluindo para noroeste, o rio Snohomish começa a seis milhas rio acima na confluência dos rios Snoqualmie e Skykomish, perto da atual Monroe, e termina cerca de 19 quilômetros a jusante, onde deságua em Port Gardner Bay (parte de Puget Sound) entre Everett e Marysville. O nome Snohomish City foi usado pela primeira vez na plataforma de 1871 que unia as reivindicações oeste e leste na Union Avenue, então com três quarteirões de comprimento. (O "Snoh-" [Sdhub-] pode estar relacionado à palavra Lushootseed para homem [esboço]. O sufixo "-omish" significa pessoas em Lushootseed, a língua falada pelos Snohomish e outros povos indígenas da área.) entrou com ações judiciais em ambos os lados do rio em 1859 pensando que o tráfego em uma nova estrada militar pagaria bem por um serviço de travessia de balsa. Não era pra ser. Instead, a steady increase in steamship service brought loggers and supplies to camps up and down the river, followed by family farmers. Snohomish grew to become the economic and cultural center of the county, and served as county seat for 36 years (which it lost to Everett in 1897). Since 1973, a 26-block area has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Geography and Early History

Stretching from present-day Everett to Snoqualmie Falls, some 60 miles to the south, Glacier Lake Snohomish drained through the Redmond Delta approximately 14,000 years ago, and the Snohomish, Snoqualmie, and Skykomish rivers were incised into the valley floor. The town site is located on a low-elevation landform known as the Getchell Hill Plateau, flanked by the Snohomish Estuary to the west, the Pilchuck outwash channel to the east, and the Snohomish River Valley to the south. The river valley is wide and flat, created through thousands of years of glacial movement and flowing meltwater, and bounded by morainal hills with steep sides -- often described in scientific literature as a "bathtub."

The river itself is characterized by meander arms and oxbow lakes, which developed as the river flooded and changed course within the expansive valley. Hunter-fisher-gatherer sites identified along the Snohomish and Pilchuck rivers indicate human habitation beginning as early as 8,000 years ago. However, the sea level did not stabilize in the Puget Sound region until around 5,000 years ago at that time salmon runs and shellfish beds became established and could be eventually harvested.

On January 22, 1855, Chief Pat Kanim (ca. 1808-1858), representing the Snohomish, Snoqualmie, and Skykomish peoples, made his mark on the Treaty of Point Elliott, just below that of Chief Seattle. With that mark, the three bands agreed to exchange their lands of thick forests, threaded with the three major rivers bearing their names, for cash, and a reservation of land called Tulalip.

First Settlers

One by one, Egbert H. Tucker (1833-1912), Heil Barnes (1828-1910?) and Edson Cady (1828-?) were the first white men recorded as making the 12-mile journey up the dark river that parted the thick forests of giant Douglas-firs and western red cedars. Their mutual goal was to reach the mouth of the Pilchuck River, with the intention of staking claims on both sides of the Snohomish River. This location, where the Pilchuck drains into the Snohomish, was determined by reading rudimentary maps back in the south sound settlement of Steilacoom. Steilacoom was the site of the oldest military fort of the territory, established in 1847. There a group of frontier businessmen drew together over the prospect of providing a ferry service across the Snohomish River for the recently funded military road heading north to Fort Bellingham. The imagined site for the ferry crossing was identified on a later map published by the United States Surveyor General as the Kwehtlamanish Winter Village.

Edson Cady, for reasons lost to history, decided to establish a landing several miles downstream instead, either because of the established Indian camp or because the new site was a better location for a ferry crossing. In any event, Cady applied for a post office permit with the name “Cadyville,” which today is called Cady Landing, a popular boat launch for recreational fishing. Cady also established a trail heading east, eventually crossing the North Cascade Mountain Range at a location still known today as Cady Pass.

Heil Barnes, at the same time, staked a claim for Emory C. Ferguson (1833-1911) adjacent to Cady’s to the west, where he assembled a small, pre-fabricated cottage on a high bank facing down river, close to where it stands today as a private home, handsomely restored. Built by Ferguson in Steilacoom, the cottage was disassembled and shipped north aboard the side-wheeler Ranger No. 2 in the spring of 1859. Apprenticed as a carpenter in the place of his birth in in Westchester County, New York, Ferguson arrived a year later aboard the same side-wheeler with enough supplies to establish a store.

Meanwhile, across the river, Tucker sold his claim to John Harvey (1828-1886) from England via Seattle. With the outbreak of the Civil War in 1861, the Regular Army abandoned both Forts Steilacoom and Bellingham and government funding for the military road dried up, leaving only a muddy trail through the woods stopping at the river’s edge on the south bank. There would be no immediate need for a ferry. Tucker was probably relieved that he got even $50 for his claim after all, Harvey had just received $2,000 for his lakefront claim on the future Lake Washington, and it had been destroyed in the 1856 episode of the treaty wars known as the “Battle of Seattle.”

All of the Steilacoom investors pulled out of the deal except Ferguson -- who went on to become a popular after-dinner speaker with his stories about the founding of Snohomish City, and the county. In an extemporaneous speech given in 1889, Ferguson told his audience that Snohomish County was created "because there were more politicians than there were counties and the matter was adjusted by making another county instead of killing some of the politicians” (Dilgard).

Snohomish County was established on January 14, 1861, when it was separated from Island County, but it was not until July that the votes for the location of the county seat went Ferguson’s way, and he returned from Mukilteo with the county records in his vest pocket, making his little cottage overlooking the river the first county courthouse. The settler population was 49 men and 0 women. But by the time Ferguson built and opened his Blue Eagle Saloon in 1865, Mary and Woodbury Sinclair had purchased the Cady claim and established a store of logging supplies across the steep path to the river.

Mary Low Sinclair (1842-1922), daughter of John and Lydia Low, was one of the youngest members of the Denny Party that arrived at Alki Point in 1851, only 11 years old and now she was the first white woman to take up residence in a riverside landing that was “a small clearing in unbroken timber,” to use her words, and still referred to as Cadyville up and down the river.

River travel settled this place. There were no roads in early Snohomish, only winding, muddy paths cut through the woods. Ferguson reminisced in an interview later in life about his first trip upriver in 1860:

“The Snohomish River was at the time a very weird place, the trees along the banks with their long branches extending out over the river, in many places meeting, with long strings of moss hanging from the branches, which nearly shut out the sunlight” (Dilgard).

The authors of River Reflections (Vol. 1) list the names of 69 steamships that answered the call to move both passengers and freight -- and the mail! The idiosyncrasies of the ships, the personalities of their captains, and the moods of the river were reported on extensively in the newspapers. And if column inches of ink in the Estrela do norte (est. 1876), and later The Eye (est. 1882) were tallied up, the sternwheeler Nellie would come out the favorite.

First Plat and First School

In 1868, Emory C. Ferguson married Lucetta Morgan (1849-1907) from Olympia, Washington, and three years later, they platted their claim, giving streets running east-west a number, and the north-south-running avenues a letter whereas, the following year, Woodbury and Mary Sinclair, named the avenues of their eastern claim after trees. Three months later, on June 5, 1872, Woodbury B. Sinclair (1826-1872) died of unknown causes, leaving Mary to raise two children whose estate now owned half of the newly named city. Her first official act as guardian of the estate was to donate three acres that bordered along the Pilchuck River for the city’s first cemetery formally governed by an association (today the site is suspected to have been a well-established Indian burial ground).

Mary is reverently remembered as the “mother” of Snohomish Schools for opening her home as the first classroom and donating land for the first schools. In 1869, the county superintendent paid Miss Ruby Willard $188.59 for three months of school held in the Sinclair home for some 20 students ranging in ages from 4 to 21. Since many of the children attending school in her home were of mixed marriages, it follows that Mary Sinclair became proficient in the indigenous language and dialects, so much so, that she was often called upon to translate for visiting government officials and reporters. For example, in 1920, when a reporter from Seattle’s Post-Intelligencer called on Snohomish’s most famous Native American resident, Pilchuck Julia, Mary Sinclair went along as translator. The resulting article estimated Julia’s age to be about 80 years: "[S]he is very energetic, cultivates her garden, fishes in the Pilchuck river, and regularly walks to Snohomish, a distance of nearly two miles.” Julia died in 1923.

Atheneum Society

Shortly after Snohomish was officially named and a school begun, a meeting was held “to organize what was one of the most unique and noteworthy literary associations in the early history of Washington territory” (Whitfield). Most likely, the inspirational leader of the Atheneum Society was Dr. Albert C. Folsom (1827-1885), a former army surgeon with experience in the Civil War, who, now in his 40s, arrived in town with a scientific collection of more than 100 fossils, gems, and bones plus, it seems, the first doctor of Snohomish County arrived with a broken heart from a failed marriage back in Wisconsin -- so it was explained upon his death in a moving elegy written by his friend Eldridge Morse (1847-1914), who looked upon Folsom, with his two degrees from Harvard, as a mentor.

Morse, a young lawyer from the Midwest, just happened to fall into a conversation with Ferguson in Seattle, which resulted in him moving his young family to the riverside settlement to become its first lawyer. A month later, Folsom arrived in town, and within two years, the first doctor and the first lawyer of early Snohomish produced the first handwritten newsletter of the Atheneum Society, which continued on a twice-monthly basis for a year and a half and led to the founding of the first newspaper, The Northern Star, in 1876.

Society members also pooled their private collection of books to establish the county’s first lending library, then embarked on the ambitious plan to build a two-story building, named the Atheneum, to house their collection of some 300 books, Folsom’s scientific specimens, and a grand meeting hall on the second floor. The women of early Snohomish supported this vision by somehow purchasing an upright piano, the first one in the city, which is still available for use to this day at the local library.

Snohomish Logging Personalities

The first board milled at the first mill in Snohomish was ceremoniously used in the Atheneum building. The Bennett & Witter Mill began operation on the Pilchuck River in 1876. Ferguson was an owner for a short while but sold it to his father-in-law, Hiram D. Morgan (1822-1906), and the mill was in business well into the new century as the Morgan Brothers Lumber and Shingle Mill.

Isaac Cathcart (1845-1909) most likely arrived in town following a footpath through the forest rather than by steamship. A large-framed Irishman, recently from Michigan, who immigrated in 1864, Cathcart had been working in the county since 1869, felling trees in isolated logging camps. He arrived in town four years later with enough money saved to build the Exchange Hotel at the west end of town. It stood across the street from the unfinished Atheneum building, which he eventually purchased from the suddenly bankrupt society, renaming it the Cathcart Opera House. By 1890, Cathcart owned his own logging business, a store on the first floor of his opera house, and several large farms. He served as county treasurer, eventually becoming the richest man in the county.

The Blackman Brothers -- Alanson, Elhanan, and Hyrcanus -- filed for bankruptcy in Bradley, Maine, and migrated west with their wives -- Elizabeth, Francis and Ella -- to the rich Snohomish River Valley of the new Washington Territory, where the stories of the giant trees must have seemed like tales from the bible. They established their first logging camp around 1875 on Stillaguamish Lake, which today is ringed with expensive homes for the most part and renamed Blackman Lake to honor the first family of Snohomish’s lumber industry. Their first mill was located at the river, west of Avenue D, an easy walk from the lakeside camp.

This mill is where they began cutting shingles with Elhanan’s invention of a tripper shingle machine, in which a carriage holding a block of cedar is tripped by a rachet action, moving the block in and out from the saw, creating a shingle with each pass. Within two years, the mill was producing 10 million shingles a year. The brothers introduced the first drying kiln, used to reduce the weight of the lumber. A dried bundle of shingles, for example, weighs 60 pounds less than a bundle of green ones, and the fact of lower freight charges only increased the popularity of Snohomish’s red cedar shakes on the East Coast.

And to get the huge cedar logs out of the forest, Alanson and Elhanan invented a steam-powered logging engine capable of pulling several loaded log trucks on wooden tracks -- tracks that were quick to install over uneven terrain, and proved very popular with logging operations as far south as Olympia. Hyrcanus, the youngest brother, kept the books and involved himself in the civic affairs of the new town, wining the first election for mayor of the newly incorporated city in 1890 -- receiving 218 votes to Ferguson’s 164.

Hyrcanus died in the home he built at 118 Avenue B in 1921, just a few months after his 37-year-old son Clifford was taken by the 1919 flu epidemic. Eunice, Hyrcanus's and Ella’s only daughter, lived in the home with her husband, Dr. William Ford. Eunice survived William by many years. She died at her daughter’s home in California, but not before agreeing to sell the family home to the newly formed Snohomish Historical Society in 1970.

In Everett's Shadow

The Seattle Arauto reported in 1884 that Snohomish was an old town of about 700 inhabitants, with a two-story courthouse, a new sawmill producing 20,000 feet of lumber each day, one good school building, six saloons, and one church (and that church had a bell). Products as listed by the Arauto were “fruit, logs, hay and skating rinks” -- there were two. When the first train pulled into the new Snohomish station on Lincoln Street four years later, the city boasted a million dollar economy -- fourth largest on Puget Sound.

On May 23, 1888, the four-star, three-story Penobscot Hotel opened and that date should be remembered as the beginning of Snohomish’s life in the shadow of a young town growing to the west. The harbor town was founded by men bringing money from the east -- the same money that paid for their individually heated rooms, the largest one facing 1st Street -- and the men named their nascent town after one of their sons, Everett. Ten years later, in 1897, Snohomish lost the county seat to the ambitious new town following a bitter, three-year contest of civic wills fought in smoky backrooms, voting booths, and the courts, until finally the records were moved to Everett in the middle of night using 37 horse-drawn wagons.

By the beginning of the new century, the handsome courthouse, built of brick from Snohomish’s own brickyard, found new life as the Snohomish High School. It was filled with the sounds of bells and laughter for the next 30 years until it had to come down. The historic first city on the river continued to grow as a logging and agriculture center, while quietly thankful perhaps that it had been spared the worst of urban growth about to arrive via Eisenhower’s National System of Interstate and Defense Highways.

E. C. Ferguson’s son, Cecil, and Cecil's wife, Clara, founded the Ferguson Canning Company in 1914 to take advantage of the excellent fruit-growing conditions of the climate and soil. However, the fruit-growing season is short, so the company expanded to preserve in cans corn, smoked fish, and even clams. Innovations continued as Emory A., then his brother Burdett, joined the company, so that by the time the Seattle World’s Fair came around in 1962, they were ready with a new item called “Puget Sound Air” -- a legal canning of air -- sporting an unique label, and now a prized collectors’ item.

Noble Harvey, son of John who took possession of the claim on the south bank in 1860, established a family-owned airfield in 1945, which the family still operates as Harvey Airfield. Noble had a long tradition of firsts beginning with his birth as the first boy born to white parents. In 1911, Nobel purchased the first automobile in the county, the same year he hosted the first airplane flight. Fred J. Wiseman, who held the record for a sustained flight of more than six minutes, arrived by train with his Curtiss-Farman-Wright biplane, billed as the “Fastest Machine in the World” -- once it's unloaded and reassembled of course. Wiseman’s flight in Snohomish was cut short by rain-soaked, fabric-covered wings and it ended in a muddy but safe nose-dive after reaching only 60 feet in altitude. The amazing machine was repaired, continued to break records, and is currently hanging in the Smithsonian Postal Museum as the first plane to carry the mail.

In the late forties, the Poier Motors building at 1105 First Street collapsed into the river due to a foundation compromised by repeated flooding. For some 15 years, the block-long row of brick storefront buildings sat empty, boarded up, until the city planners found some urban renewal funds to study the future of the historic downtown core. The architect’s fancy drawings were finally presented at a citywide meeting on October 21, 1965, and it proposed tearing down the old buildings, opening up the south side of First Street to the river, and remodeling the remaining buildings to give Snohomish the look of an up-to-date riverside mall. The Planning Commission rejected the proposal. Community feelings were probably summed up in one sentence from an editorial in the Snohomish County Tribune that read, “Snohomish hasn’t sunk that low, yet.”

Historic Snohomish Today

This was the same year, 1965, that Snohomish began its growth north by annexing the southern section of the Bickford Corridor named after Bickford Avenue, which in turn is named in honor of the family owned Ford dealership initially located on 1st Street, a block west from Poier’s Chevrolet store. On the eve of Snohomish celebrating 150 years since its founding, the city’s first super shopping mall, Snohomish Station, will open on this road, five miles north of the river on the site of a former gravel quarry. A second high school to the south will be open by then, alongside a new elementary school to serve a school-district population of more than 40,000 students.

And it was the late sixties, after the boarded-up buildings on 1st Street were finally torn down and the riverside park was created in their place, that a group of citizens met in the basement of the 1910 Carnegie Library to start a historical society. This led to the first appointment and election of two women to the city council, Anne Eason and Ione Gale, who successfully supported the society’s proposal to establish Snohomish’s Historic District. Since 1973, a 26-block area has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places Snohomish was the first city government of the county to pass an ordinance establishing such a district. This also led to the establishment of the Design Review Board.

The recently organized Historic Downtown Snohomish organization is working with the national Main Street Program and collecting assessments to re-energize what was once the heart not only of the city but of Snohomish County as well. Today the Snohomish River continues to rise and fall with phases of the moon and drainage of the North Cascade Mountain Range 60 miles to the east, just as each generation walking the River Trail (completed in 2006) will come to understand the river as the gift of nature that created the city of Snohomish.

Henry M. Jackson Foundation

Snohomish River, downriver looking west, with town of Snohomish on north bank, ca. 1885

Photo by Horton, Courtesy Snohomish Historical Society, (Image No.FS028)

Snohomish River Trail (completed April 2006), looking west, Snohomish, 2007

Photo by Warner Blake, Courtesy Snohomish Historical Society.

Modified 1855 Government Land Office map showing homesteads, Snohomish City

Courtesy Bureau of Land Management

Snoqualmie Chief Patkanim (ca. 1808-1858), ca. 1855

Photo by George N. Moore, Courtesy MOHAI (SHS1679)

Ferguson's Blue Eagle Saloon (l.), Sinclair/Clendenning store (r.), Snohomish City or Cadyville, 1865

Photo by Sammis, Courtesy Snohomish Historical Society (Image SG002)

Snohomish looking north across the river, 1884

Photo by Palace Floating Gallery, Courtesy Everett Public Library (Image No. 0169)

Sternwheeler Nellie, Ferguson's Wharf with Cathcart's Exchange Hotel behind, Snohomish, 1877

Courtesy Snohomish Historical Society (Image No.BO008)

Bruhn and Henry merchants warehouse, located on site of Ferguson's Wharf, Snohomish, ca. 1900

Courtesy Snohomish Historical Society (Image No. FS017)

Snohomish River ferry, looking south, ca. 1885

Courtesy Snohomish Historical Society (Image No. RI-005)

Ferry Alki, first steamship built for river travel, ca. 1885

Photo by Horton, Courtesy Snohomish Historical Society (Image No. BO001)

Celebrating harvest at John Harvey's hops barn, Snohomish, 1884

Courtesy Mike Barnhart and Donna Harvey

Emory and Lucetta Ferguson plat, Shohomish, filed 1871

Courtesy Everett Public Library

Woodbury and Mary Low Sinclair's plat, Snohomish, 1872.

Courtesy Everett Public Library

Avenue D at 2nd Street, Snohomish, 1885

Photo by Horton, Courtesy Snohomish County Museum

1st Street looking east at Avenue D, Snohomish, ca. 1885

Photo by Horton, Courtesy Snohomish County Museum

Snohomish Atheneum (1876), pictured here after it was sold to Isaac Cathcart, Snohomish, ca. 1878

Courtesy Snohomish Historical Society (Image No. FS029)

Cover of handwritten newsletter, The Shillalah, Snohomish, 1874

Courtesy UW Special Collections (Athena Papers, acc. 4601)

Eldridge Morse

Courtesy Noel Bourasaw, SkagitRiverJournal.com

Blackman Brothers logging operation, Snohomish, ca. 1880

Courtesy Snohomish Historical Society (Image No.LG053)

Lithograph, Blackman Brothers, 1889

Courtesy Everett Public Library

Blackman Mill on Snohomish River, ca. 1885

Photo by Horton. Snohomish County Museum

Blackman Brothers Railway, with wooden tracks, ca. 1885

Photo by Peiser, Snohomish Historical Society (Image No.RR001)

Hotel Penobscot, Snohomish, 1890

Courtesy UW Special Collections (Image No. 979.595 sm v8)

Seattle, Lake Shore & Eastern Railroad bridge (1888), Snohomish River, Snohomish, n.d.

Courtesy UW Special Collections (UW18022)

Bruhn and Henry Market, 1st Street, Snohomish, ca. 1890

Photo by Douglas, Courtesy Snohomish Historical Society (Image No. FI005)

Cecil Ferguson, Snohomish, ca. 1900

Courtesy Snohomish Historical Society (Image No. PE100)

Grocery, Snohomish, ca. 1910

Courtesy Snohomish Historical Society (Image No. BU159)

Can of Pure Puget Sound Air packaged by Ferguson Canning Co. (Snohomish) for 1962 World's Fair, 2008

Photo by Warner Blake, Courtesy Gary Ferguson

Fred Wiseman making first airplane flight in Snohomish County, May 7, 1911


Local Case Counts

We update confirmed and probable case numbers for the county and by city weekly. Hospital data is updated each weekday. Depending on when you check the tables, numbers may vary from those reported by the state Department of Health. Because new reports of positive tests come in and disease investigations are done throughout the week, the numbers vary based on when the data is run. Please check the "Data as of" or "Last Updated" note to confirm the most current number.

Case Count (cumulative since Jan. 2020) Last Updated: 2:25 p.m. 6/14/21 Change from 6/07/21
Confirmed 36,963 +298
Probable 3,358 +49
Mortes 603 +6*

Note: “Probable” cases include close contacts of a confirmed case who become symptomatic, positive antigen test, or positive serology/antibody test AND a credible history of COVID-like illness. For full definition of a "Probable" case, please see the Department of Health guidance.

** Based on what is reported to the Health District daily, and a weekly reconciliation with state Department of Health data.

To better align with the Washington State Department of Health’s data dashboard, the Snohomish Health District has incorporated positive antigen results into case reporting.

Effective April 19, the weekly case count update now includes a bar chart with total positive cases for the week broken into molecular and antigen cases. The rolling 2-week case rate has also been updated to incorporate antigen cases going back in time. This recalibration has resulted in a slight increase in rolling 2-week case rates.

Antigen test results are still positive cases, but conducted through rapid tests rather than molecular testing doing at laboratories. This addition of antigen-positive cases is not what’s driving the observed increase in the rolling 2-week COVID rate. The overall increase in case rates is due to increased transmission. Only 18% of confirmed cases over the past month are antigen-positive cases.


Snohomish County Historic Sites

The Places of the Past collection contains annotated photographs documenting the history of the buildings and places of Snohomish County. The Project draws on photograph collections and expertise from county heritage organizations and the Everett Public Library in an Internet-accessible image database format.

The photographs are primarily of individual buildings but may include street views, cultural landscapes, sites of historic events, roadways, or even some historic ships. The images will include but not be limited to places currently on National, State, and local registers and districts of historic places.

This project is sponsored by the League of Snohomish County Heritage Organizations and the Everett Public Library. Other contributing organizations include the Everett Historical Commission, Snohomish County Historical Commission, Snohomish County Planning & Development Department, and individual League member organizations.

Hear former Everett Public Library Historian David Dilgard talk about the Snohomish County Courthouse and Forgotten Creek.


Snohomish County: An Illustrated History Book

It took ten years but the amazing book on the history of Snohomish County, Washington, is now available. “Snohomish County: An Illustrated History” features 432 pages packed with geological, environmental, historical, social, and political history of Snohomish County. There are 400 photographs, maps, and topical sidebars with many illustrations by local artist Bernie Webber.

Project coordinators and editors were David Cameron, Charles LeWarne, Allan May, Jack O’Donnell, and Larry O’Donnell. Many contributions were made by local historians, experts, and genealogists to make this the most extensive county historical book ever. The last one was written by William Whitfiled in 1926.

The book is available through the Museum of Snohomish County History (425-259-2022), Pilchuck Books (425-303-0345) and many local stores and shops in Everett, Snohomish, Lake Stevens, Monroe, and Marysville.

Having grown up in Snohomish County, the book is especially important to me because of my family’s strong connection with the area.

On the Elwell side of the Knapp family, we can trace our roots back to Chief Seattle of the Suquamish tribe. His sister, Gow-Gue-Wait, our ancestor, married into the Snohomish Tribe. Even today, her descendants live in Snohomish County.

The book talks about the whites struggling for dominance and control of the Pacific Northwest Indians, which eventually resulted in many of the local Indian tribes and peoples being forced onto land set aside for them in the area of Tulalip, which borders Snohomish County to the northwest.

John Elwell (1841-1895), who married Guaquiath Kektidose of the Snohomish tribe and daughter of Gow-Gue-Wait, was among the first men to see the “gold in them thar trees” and helped developing the logging industry. His sons, Charles and Simon Elwell, worked the Snohomish and Skagit Rivers, as well as the whole waterway of Puget Sound building boats and ferries, and hauling logs, supplies, and passengers up and down the rivers.

They are also mentioned on page 112 regarding the building of the town of Monroe, Washington:

Residents also participated in railroad construction activities. Barges 60 feet long and six to eight feet wide were filled with supplies and towed upriver by mules. Two brothers, Simon and Charles Elwell, built a 44-foot canoe to carry materials for railroad construction. Reportedly, the huge craft could hold up to 4,700 pounds.

The Knapp family also has its roots strongly embedded in Snohomish County, marrying into the Elwell, Odell, and Handley pioneer families. The Knapp brothers had grown up in the logging camps of Northern Wisconsin, so they came with experience and strong backs to work the rivers and logging camps with the Elwell family.

The West family also has a long tradition as part of the history of Snohomish County. Howard West Sr. and his son, Howard West Jr., lived their lives in the Pacific Northwest between Oregon and Washington. Howard Sr. called Everett, Washington, his home since not long after World War I. He worked on the lighthouses and dams throughout Washington State for all of his adult life, serving in the Coast Guard and Lighthouse Service, after an early stint with the Marines.

“Snohomish County: An Illustrated History” is a valuable resource to help us understand all of the cultural, political, and societal issues going on during the times of our ancestors. I learned of the political battles that overthrew the town of Mukilteo, where I spent my teenage years, as center of Snohomish County to the town of Snohomish, which was later taken over by Everett, as an open port city and military base, and eventually the home of Boeing.

Snohomish County has a very diverse and mixed history, not all pretty, but not all terrible, and gives us a chance to see what it was like for our ancestors as they struggled to survive in a tough new wilderness.


Washington State Records

Snohomish County recorded 968 violent crimes and 16,463 property crimes in 2015, the most recent year with a complete set of crime statistics. These figures represent a 3.1% increase in violent crimes and an 0.7% drop in property crime over the last year five years. Violent crime incidences in the county in 2015 include 9 murders, 108 rapes, 551 aggravated assaults, and 300 robberies. In the same period, Snohomish County also recorded 2,409 burglaries, 12,090 larcenies, 1,964 vehicle thefts, and 69 arsons.

Compared to 2011 crime data, murder (12.5%), aggravated assault (4.4%), larceny (1%), and vehicle theft (15.9%) rates went up in Snohomish County. The five-year crime trend also reveals lower incidences of rape (12.9%), robbery (7.9%), burglary (17.5%), and arson (28.1%).

In accordance with the state’s Public Records Act, the Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office makes traffic collision reports and other non-confidential police records available upon request. Use the Public Request Portal to submit a request for these records. The Sheriff’s Office also accepts email requests sent to [email protected] Send a fax request to (425) 388-3939.

Requesters may also visit the Sheriff’s Office in Everett or one of its precincts. The Sheriff’s Office is located at 3000 Rockefeller Avenue, MS 606, 4th Floor Courthouse, Everett, WA. Mail requests should go to this address.

The Sheriff’s Office charges 15 cents per page for copies of records requested. The fee for scanned copies is 10 cents per page while there is a charge of 5 cents for every four electronic files uploaded via email or cloud storage or transferred to CD, DVD, or flash drive. The Sheriff charges $1.50 for a physical CD, $1.60 for a DVD, and $7 for a flash drive. The fees do not include postage charges for physical records. Cash, check, and money order are acceptable forms of payment. Snohomish County Sheriff waives charges if the total fee for obtaining a record is less than $1.

Criminal Records

In accordance with Washington State Community Protection Act of 1990, the Sheriff’s Office is responsible for registering and tracking sex offenders living in Snohomish County. It contributes these information to a statewide registry and also makes them available to the public. To find registered sex offenders residing and working in Snohomish County, visit the County Sheriff’s OffenderWatch page. The Offender Search portal allows anyone to search the sex offender database by name, city, and zip code. It also provides information about non-compliant offenders.

The Snohomish County Sheriff is the official in charge of maintaining all jail records for the county. Since most inmate records are not public records, the Sheriff’s Office only provides these confidential information directly to inmates and third-party requesters with court orders. To obtain inmate records, complete the Authorization for Release of Inmate Records and send it to:

Snohomish County Corrections
Attn: Records Requests
3000 Rockefeller Ave., M/S 509
Everett, WA 98201

The Sheriff’s Office also accepts email and fax requests. Email the completed form to [email protected] or fax it to (425) 339-2244. There is a different release form for inmates’ medical records. Print and fill out the Authorization for Use and Disclosure of Health Care Information form and send it to:

Snohomish County Corrections
Attn: Medical Records Requests
3000 Rockefeller Ave., M/S 509
Everett, WA 98201

Alternatively, send an electronic copy of the completed form to SCR-RecordsRe[email protected] or fax it to (425) 339-5326. The Sheriff’s Office charges 15 cents per page for documents that are longer than 10 pages. The fee for each color booking photo is 25 cents while the charge for a CD with electronic files is $1.50. Include postage for paper and CD copies. Accepted forms of payment include cash, cashier’s check, and money order. Make cashier’s checks and money orders payable to Snohomish County Corrections.

While most inmate records are not publicly available, looking up an inmate is a freely available service. Consult the Jail Register on the County Sheriff’s websiteto search for inmates incarcerated in the Snohomish County Jail as well as Lynnwood Municipal Jail and Marysville Municipal Jail.

Registros do tribunal

Snohomish County District Court Records are available upon request by mail and in person. For an in-person request, visit any of these four locations of District Court:

Cascade Division (North County)
415 E Burke Ave.
Arlington, WA 98223
Everett Division (Central County)
3000 Rockefeller Ave.
M/S 508
Everett, WA 98201
Evergreen Division (East County)
14414 179th Ave. SE
Monroe, WA 98272
South Division (South County)
20520 68th Ave. W.
Lynnwood, WA 98036

All four locations are open to the public from Monday to Friday between 8:15 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. For mail, email, and fax requests, start by downloading and completing the Request for Court Records form. Email it to Public Disclosure at [email protected] or fax it to (425) 388-3411 x6999. When making a request by mail, send the completed form to:

Snohomish County District Court
Public Relations Officer
Shawnee Schaeffer
20520 68th Ave. W.
Lynnwood, WA 98036

The District Court charges 50 cents per page for non-certified copies of court records. For certified copies of a court record, there is a $5 for the first page and $1 per page for the rest of the document.

The Superior Court Clerk is the official responsible for maintaining the records of Snohomish County Superior Court. The Clerk provides online access to the court’s electronic records on the Washington State Digital Archives. Available records include documents for civil, adult criminal, domestic, and probate/guardianship cases. Requesters need to provide case numbers to find the right records in the Archives. They can find these numbers using the Washington Courts – Records Search portal.

There is a $1 access fee when obtaining records through the Digital Archives. Non-certified copies attract an additional 50 cents per page charge. For certified copies, requesters have to pay $5 for the first page and then $1 for each additional page plus $5 per 50 pages for mailing.

Dados públicos

The Vital Records Office of the Snohomish County Health District issues birth and death certificates for the county. To obtain one of these records, visit the Vital Records Office located at 3020 Rucker Avenue, Suite 104, Everett, WA. The office opens between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. from Monday to Friday. To fulfil an order on the same day, requesters must arrive at the office no later than 4:00 p.m.

To request for these vital records by mail, download and complete a Birth Certificate Order Form or a Death Certificate Order Form. Mail this to:

Vital Records Office
3020 Rucker Avenue, Suite 104
Everett, WA 98201

The Vital Records Office accepts cash, check, and debit/credit cards for in-person requests. Only check and money order are accepted for mail requests. Make these payable to Snohomish Health District. The fee for each birth or death certificate is $20. The Health District also charges $8 for records searched for but not found.

The Snohomish County Auditor’s Office issues certified copies of marriage records. The office is on the first floor of the Robert J. Drewel Building and opens from Monday to Friday between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. The County Auditor also accepts mail requests sent to:

Snohomish County Auditor’s Office
3000 Rockefeller Ave., M/S 204
Everett, WA 98201

The County Auditor charges $3 for each certified copy of a marriage license. There is an additional charge of $8 for searching marriage records made before 1976. Mail requests should include 50 cents for postage and handling. Fees are payable by check made out to Snohomish County Auditor.

Snohomish County Record Availability

Snohomish criminal, law enforcement, court, and vital records are available online and/or physically. Some of these records are only accessible after paying certain fees and/or completing application forms. Overall, the ease of finding and obtaining public records for Snohomish County is moderate. Consider using a time-saving online record-finder servicesuch as the search function offered by State Records when looking for elusive records for the county.


The Edmonds Historical Museum is a private non-profit organization established in 1973 by volunteers to collect, preserve and display the historical origins of the City of Edmonds and surrounding area. As an actively collecting institution, the Edmonds Historical Museum has amassed over 26,000 objects, documents, and photographs representing the history and heritage of Edmonds and the greater south Snohomish County area.

The museum is located in Edmonds’ historic 1910 Carnegie Library building at 118 5th Avenue North. This building served as the local library from 1911 until 1962, and from 1962 until 1972 was used by the City’s Parks and Recreation Department. On August 3, 1973, the Edmonds Historical Museum opened its doors to the public and serves as a repository for community donations of historic items as well as a showcase of exhibits related to local and regional history.

Though the museum’s mission has evolved over time, we are still dedicated to the core values of our origins: sharing and promoting the history of our community. This is achieved through research, collection and preservation of historical documents, artifacts, memories and events, and by utilizing interpretative displays and engaging in creative public educational programming.

List of site sources >>>


Assista o vídeo: BNSF Gold Bar Turn @ Snohomish, WA. 4-21-2011 (Janeiro 2022).