A história

Corte Blisworth


Em 1833, Robert Stephenson foi nomeado engenheiro-chefe da linha London & Birmingham. Esta foi a primeira ferrovia em Londres e envolveu a solução de difíceis problemas de engenharia. Um dos mais difíceis foi em Blisworth, perto de Northampton. A equipe de marinheiros de Stephenson teve que abrir caminho através de 2,4 quilômetros de rocha. Embaixo da camada superior de pedra havia uma camada espessa de argila, sob a qual foram encontradas grandes quantidades de água. Motores a vapor foram usados ​​para bombear a água e duas locomotivas foram colocadas em cada extremidade do corte, para arrastar a rocha escavada e a argila. Enquanto isso acontecia, 800 homens estavam ocupados cavando, girando e explodindo. Quando o corte foi concluído, mais de 3.000 barris de pólvora haviam sido usados. Foi calculado que mais de um milhão de jardas cúbicas de material foram escavadas, extraídas ou alinhavadas em Blisworth Cutting.


BLISWORTH

Blidesworde (xi cent.) Bliseworthe (xii cent.) Bledesworth, Blithesworth (xiii cent.) Blysworth, Bleseworth (xiv cent.).

A freguesia de Blisworth cobre 1.980 hectares, o solo varia de uma argila forte a um solo misto leve e em direção à madeira uma argila negra. A freguesia está repleta de calcário e pedra de ferro, grandes quantidades desta última foram retiradas para o minério. A terra produz excelentes colheitas. A população é cerca de 800. Uma estação ferroviária na linha principal da L.M.S. fica a cerca de três quartos de milha da aldeia. Por dez anos (até o ramal ser construído sob a lei de 1843), Blisworth foi a estação de Northampton. O Grand Union Canal atravessa Blisworth e passa para a paróquia vizinha de Stoke Bruerne através de um túnel de 1¾ milhas de comprimento. Este túnel foi construído em 1806 e o ​​empreiteiro - conhecido como 'Barnes of Banbury' - era um homem que não sabia ler nem escrever e executou todos os seus cálculos e estimativas com base na memória.

O vilarejo contém muitas casas do século XVII e do início do século XVIII, a maioria de cantaria e pedra de ferro mescladas, com telhados de palha ou de ardósia. Um celeiro com telhado inclinado na extremidade leste da aldeia tem um painel na empena com a inscrição '1663 G.B.' Algumas casas mantêm as janelas gradeadas, mas na maioria dos casos as janelas foram alteradas.

Na aldeia existe uma capela batista, construída em 1825, uma residência para o ministro e um cemitério acrescentado em 1865, e uma sala de conferências em 1885.

Manor

Na época do Domesday Survey, William Peverel mantinha 3 ½ peles em BLISWORTH. (nota 1) Por ocasião de sua morte em 1114, a terra passou para seu filho William Peverel, que ocupava o cargo na época da Pesquisa de Northamptonshire. (nota 2) Ele perdeu suas terras por traição e, em Michaelmas 1157, o rei concedeu a Robert de Peissi terras em Blisworth e Newbottle com o valor anual de £ 43. (nota de rodapé 3) Em 1181, seu filho Robert segurou Blisworth, (nota de rodapé 4), mas no ano seguinte ele foi sucedido por William, filho de Robert. (nota 5) Em 1189 Ricardo I concedeu a soberania de Blisworth a seu irmão John Conde de Mortain, que ocupou o feudo até 1194, quando o rei retomou a posse da honra de Peverel. Naquela época, Matthew de Clere possuía Newbottle and Blisworth, no valor anual de £ 43. (nota 6) Em 1199 o rei concedeu a William de Ferrers, conde de Derby, neto de Margaret, herdeira de William Peverel, o mais jovem, a soberania dos cem de Higham, Blisworth e Newbottle, em troca do pagamento de 2.000 marcos. (nota 7) Isabel, viúva de Robert de Peissi, processou o Conde de Ferrers por essas propriedades, mas o caso foi arquivado porque Isabel não tinha direito sobre a terra, exceto por seu marido, que a possuía por concessão de Henrique II quando o a honra de Peverel estava em suas mãos. (nota 8) William de Ferrers morreu em 1247 e foi sucedido por seu filho William Earl of Derby, que morreu em 1254 deixando um filho Robert, que nasceu em 1239. Ele recebeu libré de suas terras em 1260, mas as perdeu seis anos mais tarde, quando a honra de Peverel foi concedida a Edmund Conde de Lancaster, e foi incorporado ao ducado de Lancaster.

Despertar. Ou dois gules de barras com três gules de roundels no chefe.

William Earl of Derby concedeu o feudo de Blisworth e o advogado da igreja a William Briwerre, a ser realizado por meia taxa, sendo a concessão confirmada pelo rei John em 1199. (nota 9) No ano seguinte, Briwerre recebeu licença para assart 60 acres de floresta em Blisworth. (nota de rodapé 10) Em 1212 ele recebeu madeira da floresta de Leicestershire para construir um porão e câmara em Blisworth, (nota de rodapé 11) e no ano seguinte teve uma licença para cultivar mais 30 acres de floresta, desistiu de lá. (nota 12) Em 1220, ele recebeu 24 troncos para postes e vigas quadradas e 2 vigaristas da Floresta Salcey para reconstruir suas casas em Blisworth. (nota 13) Por ocasião de sua morte em 1227, o feudo foi herdado por seu filho William, que morreu em 1232, sendo Blisworth atribuído a sua viúva Joan em dote. (nota 14) No ano seguinte, o feudo foi atribuído a William de Percy em nome de suas filhas, co-herdeiras de um quinto da propriedade de William Briwerre. (nota de rodapé 15) Joan parece ter retido a posse do feudo, entretanto, que desceu com sua morte em 1265 (nota de rodapé 16) para Sir Baldwin Wake, neto de Isabel de Briwerre, irmã e co-herdeira de William e esposa de Baldwin Acordar de Bourne. Ele participou com os barões contra Henrique III, ofensa pela qual o rei concedeu seu feudo de Blisworth a Alan Plugenet, que o manteve em 1266. (nota 17) Sir Baldwin provavelmente o redimiu sob o prêmio de Kenilworth, e manteve a visão de frankpledge e outros privilégios lá em 1276. (nota 18)

Diz-se que Sir Baldwin morreu em 4 de fevereiro de 1282 (nota de rodapé 19) e em 20 de julho o rei confiou o feudo, que foi avaliado em £ 32 8s., para Philip Burnel. (nota 20) O filho de Baldwin e herdeiro de sua segunda esposa, Hawise de Quincy, John, sendo menor de idade, o rei concedeu a custódia de suas terras em Northamptonshire a Edmund Earl da Cornualha, em 27 de outubro de 1282. (nota 21) O No ano seguinte, Hawise Wake moveu uma ação contra o conde, alegando que ela e seu marido haviam sido confiscados da mansão em conjunto, mas o caso foi arquivado porque a transferência conjunta não havia sido realizada de maneira adequada. (nota de 22) John atingiu a maioridade em janeiro de 1295 (nota de 23) e antes de sua morte em 1300 enfeoffou seu tio Sir Hugh Wake of Deeping pela meia taxa em Blisworth, reservando para si o advogado da igreja e uma aluguel de £ 10 da mansão. (nota de rodapé 24) Em sua morte em 1315 (nota de nota de 25) Sir Hugh Wake foi sucedido por seu filho Thomas, a quem foi concedido warren livre em Blisworth em 22 de fevereiro de 1330. (nota de rodapé 26) No mesmo ano, ele defendeu seu direito para ver o frankpledge na mansão. (fn. 27) Casou-se com a filha Elizabeth e herdeiro de Hugh Cransley, e foi sucedido por volta de 1346 (fn. 28) por seu filho Sir Thomas Wake, marido da irmã de Alice e co-herdeiro de William de Pateshull. (nota 29) Ele estava vivendo em setembro de 1379 (nota 30), mas provavelmente morreu logo depois, deixando Blisworth com sua esposa pelo resto da vida. Em sua morte em 1398, ela foi sucedida por seu neto Thomas, o filho mais velho sobrevivente de seu filho Thomas, (nota 31) que morrera em agosto de 1383. (nota 32) Ele era casado com Margaret Philipot, irmã de Sir John Philipot, cidadão e dono da mercearia de Londres, a quem Ricardo II concedeu as terras e o casamento do herdeiro de Sir Thomas Wake em setembro de 1383. (nota 33) Thomas Wake morreu antes de 1425, e o feudo passou para seu filho Thomas, que era então com cerca de 23 anos. (n. 34) Casou-se com Agnes, filha e herdeiro de Thomas Lovell de Clevedon, Somerset, e morreu em 10 de setembro de 1458, (n. 35) sendo sucedido por seu filho Thomas, que nasceu por volta de 1434. Por sua primeira esposa, cuja nome não é conhecido, ele tinha dois ou três filhos, o mais velho dos quais, Roger, o sucedeu em sua morte em maio de 1476. (nota 36) Como um seguidor de Ricardo III ele foi alcançado por Henrique VII, seu feudo de Blisworth sendo concedida a Sir James Blount. (nota de rodapé 37) Suas terras foram posteriormente restauradas pela Lei do Parlamento em 1487. (nota de rodapé 38) Ele morreu em 16 de março de 1504, deixando o feudo de Blisworth para sua esposa, Elizabeth, filha de Sir William Catesby de Ashby Ledgers, durante sua vida. (nota 39) Ela então se casou com Sir John Gray, quarto filho do Marquês de Dorset, e foi sucedida por seu filho Thomas Wake, que vendeu a mansão de Blisworth a Sir Richard Knightley de Fawsley em 1522 ou 1523. (nota 40) Sir Richard morreu em dezembro de 1535, deixando Blisworth para seu filho mais novo, Sir Edmund Knightley, e Ursula, sua esposa. (nota de rodapé 41) Eles concederam o feudo a Henrique VIII em 1542, em troca de outras propriedades, (nota de rodapé 42) e foi incorporado na recém-criada honra de Grafton. (nota 43) A administração do feudo foi concedida a Sir John Williams em 1545. (nota 44)

Fitzroy, duque de Grafton. As armas do rei Carlos II com a diferença de um sinistro bastão gobony argent e azul.

Em 1592 ou 1593, o local da mansão foi concedido a Thomas Andrew de Charwelton, (nota 45) cujo neto Thomas vivia lá em 1618. (nota 46) Em 1628, Blisworth, com dez outras mansões, foi transmitida a Sir Francis Crane, o gerente da tapeçaria de Mortlake trabalha, como garantia de um empréstimo de £ 7.500 adiantado à Coroa. (nota 47) Sete anos depois, o local da mansão foi arrendado a Sir Robert Cooke por um período de 31 anos. (nota 48) Em um levantamento das propriedades da Coroa feito em 1660, Blisworth é mencionado como contendo 894½ acres de terra arável, 405 acres de pasto e nenhum prado. (nota 49) No vencimento do arrendamento de Cooke em 1665, Carlos II concedeu a mansão com muitas outras propriedades a Denzil Lord Hollis, Philip Earl de Chesterfield e cinco outros. (nota de 50) Em 1673, entretanto, Blisworth foi dado pelo rei a Henrique Conde de Arlington, com o restante para seu genro Henry Fitzroy (nota de 51), que sucedeu em sua morte em 1685. Foi nomeado duque de Grafton em 1675 e Blisworth permaneceram nas mãos de seus descendentes até 1919, quando a maioria das propriedades dos duques de Grafton em Northamptonshire foram vendidas.

Igreja

A igreja de ST. JOÃO BATISTA consiste em capela-mor, 30 ft. 4 m. por 18 pés. 8 pol. nave clerestória, 61 pés. 6 pol. por 18 pés. 8 pol. corredores norte e sul, 11 pés. 6 pol. de largura do pórtico norte e torre oeste, 9 pés. 10 pol. por 9 ft. 6 pol., todas essas medidas sendo internas. O corredor norte tem o comprimento total dos cinco vãos da nave, mas o corredor sul (nota 52) tem apenas três vãos. A largura da nave e dos corredores é de 47 pés 2 pol.

O edifício geralmente é de calcário rudemente coursed, misturado na torre com ironstone local. As coberturas da capela-mor e da nave são de ardósia, as das corredores de chumbo e o alpendre é revestido a azulejos modernos. Existem parapeitos retos para a capela-mor e corredores: beirais da cobertura da nave. Internamente, exceto na torre, todas as paredes são rebocadas.

A igreja foi restaurada em 1855-6, quando uma galeria foi removida e os bancos convertidos em bancos abertos, e em 1871 os pisos foram pavimentados com ladrilhos encáusticos. O corredor sul foi reconstruído em 1926.

A capela-mor e os três tramos orientais da nave pertencem a uma igreja com corredor do final do século XIII, cuja nave e corredor norte foram estendidos para oeste, o corredor foi reconstruído, e talvez ampliado, por volta de 1320–30. A torre veio depois no século 14. A nave lateral sul apresenta-se com a largura original, tendo na sua extremidade leste uma capela separada das restantes por um arco transversal do século XIII, e coberta perpendicularmente à nave com empena a sul. As portas norte e sul (nota 53) também são da data do século 13 com rolos de borda. À excepção do alpendre, que parece ter sido acrescentado ou reconstruído no século XV, não se procedeu a nenhuma alteração posterior da planta. No século XV, porém, novas janelas foram inseridas na capela-mor e o clerestório erguido ou reconstruído.

A capela-mor é de dois vãos e apresenta duas janelas do século XIII na face sul, sendo a parede sul substancialmente desse período, mas no século XIV as paredes nascente e norte foram totalmente reconstruídas ou retocadas. A janela leste pontiaguda de cinco luzes tem rendilhado de um tipo incomum (nota 54), provavelmente desta data, e os contrafortes angulares são colocados diagonalmente: um pedestal chanfrado e uma corda ocorrem apenas no norte e no leste. No lado norte, as duas baias são iguais, cada uma contendo uma janela pontiaguda do século 15 com três lâmpadas cinquefoiled com rendilhado vertical, e uma porta bloqueada na baía ocidental, mas no lado sul as baias são desiguais em tamanho. Das duas janelas pontiagudas anteriores na parede sul, a mais oriental é de duas luzes pontiagudas não marcadas com um círculo triplo na cabeça, e tem ombreiras duplamente chanfradas e um molde de capuz. Em caráter, é mais antigo do que o outro, que também é de duas luzes, mas com um montante bifurcado e as ombreiras têm um chanfro oco externo, mas todo o trabalho anterior na igreja é de um tipo que parece ter prevalecido em Northamptonshire desde cerca de 1260 a 1300 e até mais tarde, o que é difícil datar com precisão sem evidências documentais. Mais a oeste, com peitoril consideravelmente mais alto que as outras, insere-se uma janela tripla do século XV como as do lado oposto e, a um nível inferior, no ângulo sudoeste da capela-mor, uma janela plana rectangular baixa lateral, agora bloqueada. (nota 55) Na parede oposta, no ângulo noroeste, há uma abertura menor do lado inferior bloqueada da data do século 15, com cabeça trevoada e molde de capuz retangular, estendendo-se amplamente para o leste no interior. (nota 56) A piscina do final do século XIII tem um recesso plano duplo com chanfro oco e uma tigela canelada saliente, sustentada por um fuste com capitel moldado. Não há sedilia. No ângulo sudoeste da capela-mor está um estrabismo, agora bloqueado, do corredor. (nota 57) O arco baixo e amplo da capela-mor é uma reconstrução do século XIV contemporânea com a extensão ocidental da nave é de duas ordens chanfradas, o interior em meio-octogonal responde com capitéis e bases moldados. Há uma boa tela da capela-mor em carvalho do século XV com aberturas tracejadas, painéis de fundo lisos e tampo moldado. As barracas foram muito restauradas. As grades do altar da balaustrada são aparentemente datadas do final do século XVII. A cobertura da capela-mor é moderna. (nota 58) A escada do sotão do século XV permanece em perfeitas condições no lado norte do arco da capela-mor na extremidade leste da arcada da nave, sendo a parede espessada para esse fim. A entrada inferior é quadriculada e a superior quadrada com uma moldura com ameias. (nota 59)

A arcada sul da nave, final do séc. XIII, é constituída por três arcos pontiagudos de duas ordens chanfradas, com capota de cada lado, saltando de pilares octogonais com capitéis e bases moldados e de réguas de carácter semelhante. As bases têm um rolo duplo, exceto o do oeste responde que não é moldado, e os capitéis diferem ligeiramente em detalhes, o do pilar mais ocidental tendo uma faixa de pequenos trevos e quadrifólios abaixo do ábaco. Os três arcos correspondentes da arcada norte ligeiramente anterior são do mesmo caráter geral, mas as bases são chanfradas e em plintos quadrados e os capitéis são menos em altura. Quando a arcada foi estendida para oeste, a antiga resposta foi reutilizada e dois novos pilares e arcos foram erguidos. Os novos vãos mantiveram o desenho geral, mas as molduras dos capitéis e bases indicam a sua data posterior.

O corredor sul não tem contrafortes e, embora tenha sido reconstruído, preserva muito de seu caráter anterior. O arco que divide a capela na sua extremidade leste do resto do corredor é de duas ordens chanfradas, surgindo do píer mais oriental da arcada e de uma réplica com capitel moldado. A capela é iluminada na extremidade sul por uma grande janela quadrada de cinco luzes com ombreiras e montantes moldados (nota 60), abaixo da qual, no interior, está um recesso de parede posterior com arco de ogiva plano moldado. (nota 61) Uma antiga piscina desapareceu. O corredor também é iluminado por uma moderna janela de duas luzes pontiagudas, a oeste da qual está o portal. Na parede sul da nave, entre o corredor e a torre, encontra-se uma janela pontiaguda originalmente de três candeeiros cujos montantes foram retirados.

O corredor norte tem um pequeno contraforte diagonal no ângulo noroeste, e é iluminado por três janelas na parede norte e uma em cada extremidade. A janela leste é quadrada e de três lanternas triplas, aparentemente uma inserção do século XV, e que na extremidade oeste também é quadrada mas com duas luzes, e foi alterada e a parte inferior bloqueada. A pequena janela pontiaguda na parede norte a oeste da varanda é de duas lâmpadas trifoliadas com ombreiras duplamente chanfradas e molde de capuz, mas os montantes das duas maiores a leste da varanda foram renovados. A porta pontiaguda do final do século 13 tem uma moldura contínua. A extremidade leste do corredor é protegida por uma sacristia.

O alpendre tem um telhado de alta inclinação com uma empena em cada extremidade, situada acima do telhado do corredor, e um arco externo pontiagudo com molduras contínuas na empena acima é uma pedra com a inscrição 'a.d. 1607, w.d., c.m. '

O clerestório tem três janelas quatro-centradas amplamente espaçadas de duas lâmpadas cinquefoiled de cada lado, colocadas sem respeito aos arcos abaixo. A moderna cobertura de madeira da nave é de seis vãos.

A torre é de três estágios divididos por cordas, com pedestal moldado e pares de contrafortes de quatro estágios em seus ângulos ocidentais alcançando o topo do segundo estágio, acima do qual existem pequenos contrafortes diagonais. No estágio inferior, há uma janela pontiaguda restaurada a oeste com duas luzes trifoliadas, mas os lados norte e sul estão vazios. O estágio intermediário tem uma pequena abertura trevo de cada lado, que no norte agora coberta por um mostrador de relógio, e as janelas do campanário pontiagudas são de duas lâmpadas trefoiled com um quadrifólio na cabeça. A torre termina em um parapeito com ameias sem pináculos. Não há vício. O arco apontado para a nave é de duas ordens contínuas chanfradas com capota a nascente e uma única ordem a poente.

A fonte é antiga e consiste em uma tigela circular lisa em forma de balde (nota 62) em um pedestal e base cilíndricos e degrau octogonal. (nota 63)

O púlpito de madeira é moderno. As armas reais de Jorge III (antes de 1801) estão sobre o arco da torre.

No rendilhado da janela noroeste da capela-mor encontram-se fragmentos de vidro medieval. (nota 64)

A mesa tumba de Roger Wake (falecido em 1503-4) e sua esposa Elizabeth Catesby está abaixo da janela sul da capela, em frente ao recesso da parede em arco, e é de pedra com uma laje de mármore Purbeck no topo. Os lados são apainelados com escudos de armas. Na laje estão os latões de Roger e sua esposa, com grupos de sete filhos e três filhas abaixo, um escudo em cada ângulo e uma inscrição de latão ao redor da borda, como segue: 'Aqui jaz Roger Wake Esquyer Lorde de Blysworthe no condado de Northampton e Elyzabeth sua wyffe. . . que Roger morreu no dia xvj de março, o ano de nosso Senhor Deus M o ccccciij, em cuja alma Ihū tenho m'cy. ' (nota 65)

Na capela-mor estão monumentos de parede de Margaret Blackey (nota de rodapé 66) (falecida em 1673) e Rebeckah Yates (falecida de 1679), esposa de Jonathan Yates, reitor. Na nave, há um memorial aos vinte e três homens da paróquia que morreram na guerra de 1914-1918.

No batente oeste da janela inferior do lado sul da capela-mor encontra-se um mostrador de arranhões.

Há um anel de cinco sinos, o segundo e o terceiro de Bartholomew Atton de Buckingham 1624, o quarto de Henry Bagley III em 1713 e o primeiro e o quinto de Thomas Eayre de Kettering 1758. (nota 67)

O prato consiste em uma xícara de 1570, uma patena do século 17 (c. 1636), uma xícara e patena de 1845, um prato de esmolas de 1846 e uma jarra de 1870. (nota 68)

Os registros anteriores a 1812 são os seguintes: (i) todas as entradas 1545 - janeiro de 1703–4 (ii) batismos e sepultamentos setembro 1705–71, casamentos até 1753 (iii) casamentos 1754–1812 (iv) batismos e enterros 1772–1812 . As entradas no primeiro volume são imperfeitas até cerca de 1557.

Do lado norte da igreja, junto ao caminho que conduz ao alpendre, encontram-se os degraus e a alvenaria de uma cruz de adro. (nota 69)

Advowson

O direito de apresentação à igreja foi concedido a William Briwerre pelo conde de Derby e confirmado pelo rei João em 1199. O advogado passou com o feudo a Sir Baldwin Wake com a morte de Joan Briwerre. Quando seu filho John transmitiu a mansão a seu tio Hugh Wake, ele reteve o advowson e o aluguel de £ 10 da mansão. O adiantamento e o aluguel foram repassados ​​para sua irmã e herdeira Margaret, esposa de Edmund de Woodstock, conde de Kent, cujo filho John Earl of Kent morreu confiscado deles em 1352. (nota 70) Seu herdeiro era sua irmã Joan, 'a bela Donzela de Kent ', esposa de Sir Thomas de Holand e em segundo lugar de Eduardo Príncipe de Gales. Ela morreu em 1385, aproveitando o aluguel e o advowson (nota 71), que passou para seu filho Thomas de Holand, conde de Kent. Ele morreu em 1397 (nota de rodapé 72) e seu filho Thomas foi acusado de alta traição em 1399. O advowson, no entanto, foi atribuído a sua mãe Alice em dote em 1398 e ela morreu com a posse dele em 1416. (nota de rodapé . 73) Seus herdeiros foram suas cinco netas, uma delas foi Eleanor Condessa de Março, que faleceu antes dela, deixando como herdeiro um filho Edmund Conde de Março, que morreu tomado de um quinto do advogado em 1425 deixando três co-herdeiros (nota de rodapé 74) mas Joan, viúva de Thomas Earl of Kent, morreu com a posse do advowson em 1442, mantido com dote por atribuição dos herdeiros de Alice. Seu herdeiro era Humphrey Earl de Stafford, filho de seu irmão. (nota de rodapé 75) O advowson provavelmente reverteu à coroa quando seu bisneto Edward Duke de Buckingham, conde de Stafford, foi conquistado em 1523. O advowson foi concedido a Sir Christopher Hatton em maio de 1579 (nota de rodapé 76) e permaneceu em a posse de sua família até o século XIX. O sustento estava no presente do Rev. W. Barry, o reitor de Blisworth, e seus descendentes de 1839 a 1930, mas foi então adquirido pelos governadores da Canford School, Dorset.

Instituições de caridade

Em 1504, Roger Wake deixou um terreno em Bedfordshire para a fundação de uma capela na capela de Santa Maria, a Virgem, cujo capelão também manteria uma escola primária gratuita na aldeia. A escola chamava-se Roger Wake's Chauntre and Free School, e o confisco das terras da capela foi continuado por mandado dos Comissários da Capela, com um estipêndio fixo de £ 11 cobrado sobre as receitas da Coroa. Todos os vestígios de uma escola primária desapareceram no início do século 19, e o estipêndio desde então foi anexado ao salário de um professor do ensino fundamental. (nota 77)

Com a extinção da freguesia foi atribuído um lote de terreno em substituição de terrenos anteriormente destinados à reparação da igreja. O valor do aluguel atual é de cerca de £ 20.

Jane Leeson por seu testamento provou que em 1649 acusou certas terras de pagamentos para os pobres de muitos lugares (incluindo £ 11s. um ano para Blisworth) a ser distribuído pelo reitor, guardiões da igreja e supervisores das várias cidades e vilas. Esta soma é agora distribuída aos pobres pelo reitor e quatro curadores nomeados pela Junta de Freguesia de Blisworth.

Maria Anne Westley por seu testamento provou que o dia 3 de março de 1931 legou os rendimentos líquidos de suas 3 mensagens aos administradores da capela batista de Blisworth, para aplicar a renda ao estipêndio do ministro da referida capela. A doação agora é representada por £ 139 11s. 9d. 3½% do estoque de guerra.


Descrição

SP 7254 BLISWORTH HIGH STREET
(Lado sul)
23/10 A Antiga Reitoria


House, antiga reitoria. Datado de 1841. Silhar de pedra calcária, telhados de ardósia, ponta de pedra
e pilhas de cume. Plano de profundidade dupla. 2 pisos e sótão com 3 janelas.
Alpendre central triangular tem porta de pedra com chanfro duplo com cabeça 4-centrada e
portas de folha dupla, spandrels cortados e molde do capô. Pináculos octogonais a ângulos,
janelas de 1 luz com chanfro duplo nas laterais e parapeito e frontão com cobertura de pedra com
datestone. O alpendre é ladeado por janelas de guilhotina estreitas com pedra chanfrada dupla
rodeia. As baías de cada lado quebram para a frente e têm montantes de pedra chanfrados e
janelas de travessão para o piso térreo, janelas de montantes em pedra chanfrada de 2 luzes para o primeiro
piso, todos com pares de pequenas faixas e moldes de capuz, e pequenas faixas com
bordadura de pedra chanfrada a empena do sótão. Pedestal, curso de corda do 1º andar e
beirais de pedra com colchetes. Ala de um andar com 3 janelas para a direita. Interior anotado como
tendo uma escada de poço aberto com balaústres torneados simples, extremidades de piso esculpidas e
corrimão de mogno com rampa e coroada.


Corte de Blisworth - História

Esta é uma página no site independente, página inicial: http://blisworth.org.uk/images/index.html

A História de Blisworth Arm

O objetivo desta página é fazer referência a documentos que fornecem detalhes históricos e oferecer (a) uma linha do tempo simples, (b) um mapa e (c) uma lista dos principais usuários do Northampton Arm (até 1970).

Há também um mapa interativo da aldeia Blisworth Arm para indicar a localização de alguns dos edifícios históricos.

Reconhecimentos: Agradecemos a todas as pessoas que ajudaram a reunir essas informações: David Blagrove, Reg Spittles, Phil Lizius, Brian Collings, Sally Edwards, John Dale, Doreen Blood, James Payler, Dave Goodwin e George Freeston que resgatou grande parte da correspondência de Millner agora no NRO

Horário do Domesday, ou seja, 1066 - tudo isso seria uma terra "vazia", ​​nada que os normandos se importassem em fazer notar, exceto por uma trilha, parte da muito antiga Oxenford Way A rota comercial, provavelmente datando do século 8, se Offa da Mércia a estabeleceu, percorria a área em um eixo aproximadamente norte-sul unindo Oxford e Northampton via Greens Norton e paróquia de Tiffield. [Uma teoria supõe que o caminho antigo coincide com o eixo da estrada através de Blisworth Arm, outra supõe que segue a estrada de Gayton, nas imediações, e se junta um pouco a leste de Arm End.

Medieval - Imagine só esta trilha, dividindo as paróquias de Blisworth e Gayton, e campos por meia milha ao redor. A paróquia de Gayton foi fechada muito cedo, enquanto esta parte da paróquia de Blisworth só foi fechada por volta de 1800. Haveria apenas os moradores locais labutando o dia todo em seus sulcos, ouvindo o sino da aldeia soar seu "tempo quottea".

1757 - Toda a área ao sul da pista fazia parte de um terreno comum chamado nether field ou Blisworth Field. O campo fechado mais próximo (The Lowne) foi alugado para Wm. Ploughman, um descendente de um beneficiário das compras de terras da coroa de Cromwell em 1650. Na época do Levantamento Grafton em 1757, a maioria dos fazendeiros considerados bons fazendeiros recebeu alguma concessão de fechamento sobre partes da terra comum, de forma que o padrão de "crista e sulco" da agricultura familiar estava sendo eliminado. A trilha pode ser menos mantida do que na época medieval, correndo ao longo dos limites da paróquia de Blisworth e Gayton, provavelmente servindo principalmente os campos já fechados (c1600) na paróquia de Gayton. A 'rota comercial' havia sido transferida há muito tempo para uma velha estrada que passava por Blisworth que logo seria transformada em uma auto-estrada (daí a A43).

1794 - O corte principal do Canal Grand Junction foi estabelecido ao sul até a auto-estrada na vila de Blisworth, onde um cais de transbordo foi criado. Os habitantes locais não veriam sentido neste 'rio' feito pelo homem. . . ainda. A pista é um pouco curvada e forma o início de uma pequena rua através de uma aldeia.

1805 - Juntando-se ao Canal Grand Junction, foi cavado um

Hidrovia de 150 jardas que levava a uma ferrovia que conectava o canal a Northampton. O lugar se chamava Northampton Arm e assim permaneceu até cerca de 1891, quando o nome Blisworth Arm foi usado no censo. Pickfords mudou-se do cais de Blisworth para o Arm para operar a ferrovia de cavalos, tendo operado a ferrovia de Blisworth Hill de 1800 a 1805 enquanto o túnel estava sendo concluído.
Uma pequena fazenda de cerca de 50 acres (?) Foi fechada e atribuída ao inquilino John Dix - ela provavelmente se expandiu rapidamente para uma fazenda de 152 acres, mais tarde conhecida como (Antiga) Fazenda do Braço.

1807 - foi inaugurado um bar que se passou a se chamar inicialmente The New Inn (por não mais de 20 anos), posteriormente denominado Navigation Inn - fotografias. Em 13 de janeiro de 1806, George Moore faturou ao duque de Grafton 1 16. 0. pelo andaime de madeira (skafles) para um bar em Railway End, Blisworth Field. No mapa do Prêmio de 1809, ela é mostrada como uma casa (fazenda) sem rótulo no canto de um grande campo. Veja detalhes na página associada.

1815 - 1º de maio, todo Northampton Arm, por ser uma via navegável de largura única, havia sido cavada e aberta ao tráfego - portanto, o rio Nenê estava conectado ao sistema de canais. A ferrovia de cavalos foi fechada e a Pickfords Company afastou-se da Arm. Um nome como Railway End deu lugar a Fim do braço. Pickfords, uma empresa com suas raízes no século 17, também operava fly-boats por volta de 1800, mas em 1850 havia fechado seu negócio baseado em canais em favor das ferrovias. Embora tenha sido construído como uma via navegável de largura única para economizar água, uma condição foi dada pelo GJCCC aos empresários de Northampton de que, se as eclusas de Foxton e Watford fossem alargadas posteriormente, o mesmo aconteceria com as dezessete eclusas da Arm.

1817 - Os dois chalés, que foram transformados em uma casa como residência de Thomas Millner em 1900, foram construídos pela ponte nº 2 para servir como acomodação dos trabalhadores do canal.

c1820 - Presume-se que a GJCCC estabeleceu seu pátio de manutenção no local atual mais ou menos imediatamente após a conclusão do Braço. Há uma referência de que os trilhos retirados da ferrovia dos cavalos foram empilhados no pátio e por volta de 1824 uma "grande pilha de trilhos aguarda disposição". Alguns foram oferecidos ao Thames Tunnel Co, que iniciou as operações de escavação em 1825 e acredita-se que a pilha de trilhos pode ter sido vista por Sir Marc Brunel, pai de IK, que estava na área em 1824 aconselhando o Oxford Canal Co sobre endireitando sua linha ao norte de Braunston. Alguns trilhos foram dados a John Roper para serem usados ​​na ferrovia de calcário na Blisworth Stone Works e os remanescentes foram desenterrados por George Freeston.

c1820 - Uma característica de datação incerta foi a ponte construída ao longo do pescoço do The Arm que se estende até a Toll Cottage - Bridge No.1. Presumivelmente, era um caso de madeira relativamente frágil, para pedestres, especialmente o pedágio, sendo uma ponte giratória, provavelmente flutuante, para permitir a entrada de barcos no Braço. Era ladeado por uma encenação até a margem do lado da cabana e se juntava a uma península substancial de terra do outro lado, conforme mostrado no mapa detalhado. Se a encenação é o que está sendo referido na conversa gravada sobre o pedágio, então a ponte ainda estava em uso depois de 1890.

18?? - Outras características de datação incerta são (a). estabelecimento da olaria (Sr. Savage inicialmente?) ao norte da ponte No.2. Embora seja lógico esperar uma olaria de 1795, o primeiro recorde do censo para um oleiro no Arm é 1851. (b). instalação, talvez c1810, e demolição (quando?) de um armazém usado pela Pickfords Company - veja o mapa detalhado - no cais de Arm (c). instalação de um ferreiro nas proximidades (ver mapa detalhado) (d) construção de chalés dentro do recinto do pátio (para funcionários do canal, ver mapa detalhado e observe sua nota de rodapé, construído em algum momento antes de 1900 e demolido em 1930) e, do outro lado de the road, the building of two farm cottages, before 1900, of inferior bricks next to stables , modernised c1970. Also an undated snippet is the fact that the Northampton Arm was one of the last waterways on the system to operate a horse supplied by the canal company.

c1870 - Arm Farm was taken by new tenants - the Savage family hence the name, now forgotten, for two semi-detached houses opposite the canal yard - Savages Cottages.

1895 - Thomas Millner became Canal Manager for the local section (Braunston to Fenny Stratford) and made the Arm his HQ and taking over from a Mr. Cooke. He lived in the Toll Cottage to begin with but in 1900 he took over a large double cottage as his residence - Canal House. He named his operational base there "Gayton Maintenance Yard", consistent with Grand Junction Canal convention at the time which was to refer to the nearest village by road. By this time, the conventional name for the hamlet was Blisworth Arm as judged by the census documents. Mr. Cooke later departed for USA - he was "fed up with England".

1905 - At Millner's request, a windmill pump and borehole was established near the top lock on the Northampton Arm so that piped 'mains' water could be provided for his house, the boater's services, the brickworks in both Savage's and Asplin's time and the maintenance yard. All this supply is thought to be from a high mounted reservoir near the lock - long since removed. I n later years the Navigation Inn, while still part of the Grafton Estate, was included in the supply. Evidently Millner thought that the Navigation Inn was an important asset in promoting the smooth running of canal business! He makes his support in 1915 plain for all to see.

1911 - Mr. Savage's brickworks just to the north of bridge No.2 ("Arm End Brickyard") was relinquished to a new tenant W.T. Asplin. In the 1914 Kelly directory he is recorded a brick and tile-maker. However, he ceased to use the brickworks from 1917 onwards.
Bridge No.48 on the main cut, "Junction Br.", was taken down and completely rebuilt. There was a fault in its foundations.

1912 - Perhaps as a result of last year's bridge trouble, bridges on the Arm were strengthened with iron ties.

c1919 - Arm Farm was bought by W. T. Asplin who may have been the Grafton tenant there for many years (Grafton records lost in a fire).

1919 - Lot 19 in the Duke of Grafton's Estate sale - The Navigation Inn was sold to Phipps Brewery, Northampton - resident publican A. E. Abram. See details in the associated page.

1919 - Millner recommended in a letter to his bosses in London that they acquire Lots 20 and 21 in the sale - ". I think the acquisition would be beneficial to the company" : (Lot 20) "A valuable brickyard and pasture field - all buildings and the chimney shaft belonging to the tenant W. T. Asplin of Milton" - bought by GJCCC. for 500 with the let continuing - but it seems it lasted only for 2 years. GJCCC management had no idea what this plot would be used for - "let's not sell cottage plots to the public, we might want to build our own staff cottages". The area later became a source of puddling clay.

1919 - Lot 21 was sold for 75 to W. T. Asplin (preference given to the tenant) with the wharf presumably used for sand and brick distribution by canal. GJCCC wanted this plot and attempted to buy it from Asplin through the 1920s. Asplin also bought at this time Lot 22, a sand pit, on the other side of the railway (then) for 875.00 - a site now occupied by Kottler Heron and Leyland-DAF commercial vehicles, among others . There are some historic notes based on an article and copies of Deeds made available by Philip Lizius, the present owner of the plot.

1921 - Asplin ends his tenancy at the brickworks having taken down buildings and moved his operation across the railway. He used local labour in the move.

1929 - The canal through this area, formerly the Grand Junction Canal, was designated part of the Grand Union Canal.

1931 - Russian Oil Products Ltd. (R.O.P.) took a small piece of land, rented from GUCCC, as a depot for petrol distribution. At the time, GUCCC considered a whole list of possible sites but erred in favour of this one because of the perceived fire risk.
Thomas Millner, having retired in 1929/30, vacated Canal House (he died in Watford 1943 and was buried with wife Bena at Gayton). Millner's successor in 1929 was Charles N. Hadlow who took up residence in the Toll Cottage while Canal House was let privately.

1930s - Before WWII the c anal fishing rights on the Arm were rented by Northampton Angling Society at a cost of about 10 per mile per annum.

c1936 - Recorded in a postal directory is Claude Frederick Harlow at the Toll Cottage. This is of course C. Hadlow.

War Years - It is thought that Hadlow possibly shared his house during the war years when the whole canal network was 'taken over' by the government. The Toll Cottage was accommodation for a government official and his family, Ernest G. Dale, who described himself as a GUCCC employee and whose job it was to manage the storage of strategic emergency foods. In 1940 Dale took over the R.O.P. depot after the petrol tanks and pumps had all been removed and started to store foodstuffs. By 1942/3 his operation must have transferred into the much favoured Blisworth (Westley) mill building which had become GUCCC property by then (see link below for John Dale's memoirs). Aerial photos of 1947 (NRO) show one small shed and an empty plot accommodating a looped drive with in- and out-gates.

1946 - GUCCC let the old disused petrol depot, newly referred to as Depot No.3, to Derngate Motors for a while and then opted to again offer it to petrol and oil companies [there must have been some canal benefit from this?] People recall Esso, Texaco and Shell being involved but the most 'solid' seems to be that the depot was used by Watsons Oils (part of Texaco) - see article link above.

1948 - GUCCC was nationalised on January 1, 1948 and came under the control of the Docks & Inland Waterways Executive of the British Transport Commission.

c1951 - Arm Farm, still 152 acres, was sold to the Stroud family by Asplin's descendants.

1953 - Easter. The Navigation Inn was closed and sold. See details in the associated page.

1962 - The management of the canal system, whilst still controlled by government, was re-organised as the British Waterways Board which begat British Waterways. By now the annual charge for fishing rights had been increased by British Waterways to 200 per mile which resulted in different clubs taking over the waters. They used to come out by bus and were dropped off at bridge points. It became a little industry - some canal-side houses providing tea, hot water, sandwiches and confectionery. The push and pull train on the local line would drop off and pick up by request at suitable spots such as the Banbury Lane crossing.

Década de 1960 - British Waterways appreciated the excellent clay, for puddling, available at the site of Asplin's old brickworks (Lot 20) and proceeded to extract it. The resulting large hollow filled with water at a level somewhat below that of the neighbouring Arm and even acquired a colony of water lilies (photographed by Walter Alexander) and its own clandestine flock of fishermen who parked on the horse railway 'track' and crept through narrow gaps in the hedge. The place became known as The Lake and there were voices heard 20 years hence in Blisworth - "we want to keep our Lake".

1960 -70 - Arm Farm was bought by Harry Capell of Shutlanger and, in 1963, a new farm house was established near Canal House and named New Arm Farm. Hence a modified name for the main farm - Old Arm Farm. Not long afterwards, c 1970, the farm buildings along the road opposite the yard were modernised.

1967 - After Station Road was adopted and officially named (eight years after there was no station!) by NCC there was the question of signage to the Arm. George Freeston saw fit to lobby County officials that the name of this hamlet should remain as Blisworth Arm and not be transformed into Gayton Arm! There has been good natured discussion ever since - see 1980 entry.

1975 - Brabs Baillion purchased a north section of the wharf next to the yard, thus presumably merging with the Canal House curtilage which then would be extended right to the water edge (annotations to old conveyance at Head Office, British Waterways noticed by D. Blagrove).

1980 - A boat marina was established by enlarging and profiling The Lake in the area that was earlier used as a source of clay for bricks and canal use. The company was initially "Freshwater Marine" and they named the marina "Gayton Water". Alvechurch Leisure and ABC Leisure Group have since called it "Gayton Marina". An early company statement explained they wished to avoid annoyance to locals and confusion with any businesses in Blisworth. It was not going to be easy but they decided to follow GJCCC. (British Waterways) with their designation "Gayton Junction" for the canals there and "Gayton Maintenance Yard" for their operations there even though it resides within Blisworth parish. Besides, the marina is on the Gayton Road from Milton Malsor.

1983 - The building that was once a pub, Navigation Cottage, was extended by the owners, the Holmes family, using the space occupied by stables (latterly a garage) and loft. The loft was the sleeping quarters mentioned by Thomas Henshaw.

1991 - The Blisworth and Milton Malsor A43 Bypass was completed. It uses a section of the levels built for the Northampton and Peterborough railway branch line. Note the access roads put in on the A43 and just visible in the Google image below. They have not been put to any use because projects to commercially develop land in the Arm area, on both sides of the main road, were quashed at the enquiry stage.

2007 - May, a new marina west of the Grand Union Canal was opened - "Blisworth Marina& quot. The excavation involved the removal of 100s tonnes of, unsurprisingly, clay. However, a deep seam of particularly good clay for puddling canals and marinas etc. was found and used there. The extra depth of hole created by removing 'best clay' was backfilled with 'second rate clay'.

2008 - Attempts to develop the hamlet, with a small housing project, were refused planning permission as the hamlet seriously lacks both access and parking provision for vehicles.

2009 - A growing environmental awareness has resulted in attention being focussed on the neglected state of the plot once occupied by the R.O.P. Company (see above) and improvement by the owners is imminent.
An information board has been recently installed by British Waterways at the Arm junction. It draws attention to the turnover bridge, the Toll house, the yard, the Navigation and Canal House thus covering the most obvious of the historical features. The board is entitled "Gayton Junction" to align with British Waterways custom dating from c1920 and, unfortunately, not "Northampton Arm Junction" which would have recalled the c1805 years, thus broadening the historical perspective.

2010 - After years of lobbying the NCC, there was set up proper highway signage in August at the end of Station Road near the railway arch. Future difficulties in, for example, an ambulance finding the Arm should be lessened.


The Canals of England and Wales and their History

The Canals were the &ldquomotorways&rdquo of the 18th Century. In the days when roads were un-surfaced and especially when they quickly deteriorated in the winter to pot-holed muddy tracks, a method was sought by which large heavy cargoes of such commodities as coal, iron ore, grain, china clay, limestone and other building materials and agricultural cargoes such as grain could be transported from the regions of the UK in which they were produced to the docks in London, Liverpool, Bristol and so on. Some clever person came up with &ldquothe canal system&rdquo, by which boats with cargoes could be moved easily and relatively cheaply on water across country, by one or two people in a canal boat plus a reliable heavy horse to act as the force which propelled the canal boat along.

A horse drawing a narrowboat along the canal cut - photo reproduced by kind permission

of Blisworth Images and taken by P Digby.

Canals were not a new concept. The Romans built them for exactly the purpose for which they were required in the 18th Century (i.e. to move heavy cargoes from A to B) and also for the transportation of large amounts of water across valleys and hills. However, it was only with the dawn of the Industrial Revolution in the 18th Century that entrepreneurs realized the potential of canal construction. They banded together and lobbied Parliament to pass Acts which enabled the construction of canals to commence. The necessary money for investment was quickly raised, and huge gangs of workers were rounded up to start the mammoth task of digging &ldquothe Cuts&rdquo.

Old photo of horse drawing a narrowboat on a canal - photo reproduced by permission with grateful thanks to Blisworth Images. Photographer unknown.


The Cuts were literally that &ndash cuttings into the landscape to enable the water to be channeled along, thus linking rivers and towns. It was easier to dig canal cuttings by following the contours of the land as far as possible. Where major changes in the gradients occurred a different approach was required. In order to make provision for the water to &ldquogo up&rdquo and &ldquogo down&rdquo so to speak (and thus to raise and lower boats and their cargoes) locks had to be constructed. The locks were &ndash again &ndash basic technology for the time, but this was the first time that the system of locks had been employed so extensively. The lock system was a wonder of the age. In order to raise boats up steep hills whole staircases of locks were designed, and new systems of filling them with water were devised, such as side pounds. It was an exciting time.

Old photo showing "Navvies" working on "The Cut" - photo reproduced with kind permission of Blisworth Images

Most of the labourers employed in the canal digs were from Ireland and the industrial north of England. They became known as &ldquoNavigators&rdquo or &ldquoNavvies&rdquo for short, and the term is still in use to this day for labourers on building sites. In a space of a little over 30 years most of England from the Thames up to the Yorkshire coalfields was criss-crossed with inter-connecting canals.

Some of the canals were cut through hillsides in deep tunnels. This set a problem for the boat people who could not lead a horse through the tunnels because there was no towpath inside. The boats had to be propelled through the tunnels by means of men lying on boards across the top of the narrowboats and literally walking (or "legging") the boats through the length of the cold dark tunnels. Some of the tunnels were over a kilometre in length and this must have been a simply awesome feat.

"Leggers" walking a narrowboat through a tunnel - photos reproduced by kind permission of Blisworth Images and with grateful thanks to Rick Muir and L Hack.

The narrow boats were hauled along by giant Shire horses who plodded along the towpaths at the side of the canals, towing their laden narrow boats behind them. Cargoes were being transported from the Black Country to Liverpool docks via such canals as the Duke of Bridgewater&rsquos canal. He financed this one by himself &ndash and reaped the huge profits which arose from its construction.

As far as the Canals and the River Thames were concerned, the thrust was to get cargoes from the Midlands and the North of England down to the docks in the East End of London. This was very successful, and even up until the Second World War the canals were thriving. By the 1950ies however the whole system of moving cargoes by water was in decline, and a new approach was necessary - or the canals would be filled in once again.

Thanks largely to the great work of the Inland Waterways Association, and societies like them who campaigned tirelessly on behalf of the canals and conducted a relentless battle to save the inland waterways from destruction, a renewed interest in them grew up 40 years ago. L.T.C. Rolt wrote his now famous classic book &ldquoNarrow Boat&rdquo, which did much to inspire new generations of people who wanted to experience life on the canals for themselves. Another famous campaigner, Robert Aickman, cruised the waterways and wrote articles that created the publicity that forced local authorities to repair canal routes that had illegally been allowed to become scarcely passable. Gradually people began to see the leisure possibilities in the network of canals that remained.

Narrowboat on Oxford Canal - photo courtesy JB

The traditional narrow boat was adapted for leisure use, and boat builders created boats which were the height of luxury, complete with diesel powered engines, showers, fridges and freezers and TVs. All About Boats in the BoatBuilders section .

Hire boat companies sprung up the length and breadth of the canal network, and holidays afloat the canals are now extremely popular. The view of the countryside from your own boat as it gently glides down a canal is unique. You can be lucky and see all kinds of wildlife such as otters and kingfishers, and life becomes very relaxed until the next lock has to be navigated! Then it is all hands to the deck as the balance beams of the lock gates have to be closed and the windlasses have to be wound up or down to raise the paddles which let water into the lock. For more details of Canal boating holidays visit Boating Holidays and Short Breaks

Locking through - balance beam on the last lock of the Oxford Canal - photo courtesy JB

Restoration and campaigning work continues to be undertaken on behalf of the Canals &ndash our great national asset, like the River Thames &ndash by such notables as David Suchet and Lionel Monk and by the tireless efforts of the enthusiasts of the Inland Waterways Association and the Waterways Recovery Group.

The following pages are devoted to aspects of the Canals that connect with the River Thames. Click on them to obtain further information


Blisworth Tunnel

Blisworth Tunnel, in Northamptonshire, is one of the longest in Britain. 3076 yards long and broad enough for two narrowboats to pass, it is surpassed only by Standedge Tunnel (on the Huddersfield Narrow Canal) and Dudley Tunnel in the Black Country near Birmingham.

Building Blisworth Tunnel, was the most troublesome part of the Grand Junction Canal's (now known as the Grand Union Canal) construction. When work began, in 1793, the building of a 3km tunnel was a major feat of engineering with no mechanical aids beyond the basic picks, shovels and wheelbarrows available. To add to their basic problems, just three years into the project the navvies hit quicksand. All work had to be abandoned and a new course begun.

Once built, Blisworth had a tunnel tug until 1936.


Gayton Wood Farm/Mining the Gayton Parish


View Larger Map
An overview of the history of the mining/quarrying relating to the former Northampton & Banbury Junction railway (which became the former Stratford Upon Avon & Midland Junction railway – SMJ) in the area of Gayton, a village near Blisworth in the county of Northamptonshire (bridge 1 to bridge 5)

Mining of the earth’s natural resources in the Blisworth area of Northamptonshire has been evident for many centuries. This short piece is, if nothing else a way of me putting things straight in my head in relationship to quarrying in the area and the new railway.
This new line, which started out in May 1866 as the Northampton & Banbury Junction railway, (N&BJR) opening as it did a short section from Blisworth on the main London, Birmingham line of Stephenson, 1838 to Towcester was built on the premise of the movement of all the ore from the area. The Towcester section was subsequently followed up by an extension to a junction with the LMW,R at Cockley Brake and so into Banbury.

The company had great plans to run onto South Wales but these plans were never realised and the company was to struggle to survive. The N&BJR became part of the SMJ in 1910 , the section between Blisworth and Towcester having built strong links with the mining/quarrying in the parish of Gayton in the interim years. Mining/quarrying was evident on both sides of the line and transhipment points had been constructed along the branch.

The SMJ’s bridge 1 took the minor road from Blisworth to Rothersthorpe over the line then immediately alongside that (and still is – bridge 1 having been demolished in reference to the construction of the Blisworth bypass) was a small bridge over the London to Birmingham line of 1838. The road down to the Walnut Inn (formerly the station pub) sits on the former SMJ trackbed.

As we travel along the line from Blisworth to Towcester we can see the line of a chord facing north which ran from the main line and came in to run parallel with the SMJ albeit initially substantially lower than the SMJ which at this point was on an embankment. This private line I believe to be the Blisworth Ironstone sidings, it most certainly did meet up with tramway which passed over SMJ bridge 2 a few tens of chains along which fed quarries on both sides of the N&BJ,R. These sidings were connected to, or were in fact Wheldon’s sidings. Around 1888, Wheldon’s sidings moved from a location a few chains further west and a simple transhipment point was created in the shape of an over-bridge running across 3 or 4 sidings from where quarried material was tipped from the lesser tramway wagons into mainline wagons to be taken away. The private sidings had a connection with the N&BJ,R which had closed by 1927. The Blisworth Ironstone sidings themselves were completely lifted by 1950 although their bed can been seen clearly on Google today.

The Wheldon’s sidings itself undertook a number of changes in its life and having moved in 1888 from further west did run under bridge 3 which carried the Gayton/Blisworth road alongside the N&BJ,R. At one point having both a West and East connection, materials were able to be taken from nearby quarry workings from the tramways and onto the N&BJ.R/SMJ and taken away.

One mystery as we continue our journey from Blisworth comes in the shape of bridge 1A. There are two unnumbered culverts which pass beneath the line at this point to aid drainage but bridge 1A doesn't quite fit in . 58 chains along and listed as 1A on the piers that remain, and listed as such on the bridge detail, a document which is available here Bridge numbers

Bridge 1A’s main supports are quite complete, consisting of several straight brick towers looking like they’d hold a simple flat platform across the culvert which runs to the north side of the track bed. They are alongside what became Richard Thomas’s sidings, which fed the quarrying at the Gayton Wood Farm site – but not until 1940’s, more of which to follow. https://thesmjr.ning.com/photo/albums/richard-thomasthe-tramway

At the site of bridge 1A on an early map from around 1870 there is something which passes under the (or so it seems) the new railway dog-legging left to join the Gayton/Blisworth road passing over the previously mentioned transhipment point and Wheldon’s sidings. Remember, The sidings of Richard Thomas’s didn’t come into being until the 1940’s. It is possible that the track bed at this
point took on a slightly different look to what it became .

And so to bridge 2. https://thesmjr.ning.com/photo/bridge-2 context=album&albumId=3138568:Album:9165 Bridge 2 (of which the north pier still remains) at 58 chains was just past the former junction with the former Wheldon’s sidings, which would explain the existence of a P-Way hut (still extant) on the spot. https://thesmjr.ning.com/photo/permanent-way-hut-along-side/next?context=album&albumId=3138568:Album:9165
The area was awash with quarrying both sides of the line. Along with the main railway lines, many temporary tramways were set up, being constantly moved and extended to keep up with the quarrying. The large field alongside bridge 2 to the south (I will call it field 1) was no exception.

From before 1900 field 1 had been plundered for its many resources and so warranted connections to both the railway, and the canal at Blisworth. Bridge 2 took a tramway across the then N&BJ,R to the transhipment point where Wheldon’s sidings met the Blisworth Ironstone sidings, initially running straight into the field due south as this is where the quarrying was.

Around the same time quarrying began in the field to the west of the previous field (I shall call it field 2) and so further transhipment points were required.

https://thesmjr.ning.com/photo/alignment-of-gayton-wood-farm?context=album&albumId=3138568:Album:9165
A tramway was set up which went to the railway at one end, and the canal at the other. There were 2 railway over-bridges around this point, bridges 4 and 5. Bridge 4 was an occupation bridge for Gayton Wilds Farm and bridge 5 too, an occupation bridge. Bridge 4 though seemed to have once taken a trackway across it as seen on an early 19th century map, bridge 5 was too possibly a tramway
bridge as there is evidence of a tramway from the quarrying to a simple transhipment point in connection with Wheldon’s original sidings in-between bridges 4 and 5 which consisted of a simple Shute system for transferring quarried materials to mainline wagons from tramway wagons. Wheldon’s sidings here were connected to the N&BJ,R. A further tramway ran north from here to further quarries south of Gayton village.

Field 2 was to the north of an area of quarrying which became Gayton Wood Farm which was amongst some of the last quarry in the area – working as it did ‘til the late 60’s and it too supported several tramways. I imagine when mining in field 1 became exhausted, (dates seem to support a slow movement west of the quarrying) a bridge was built under the Gayton/Blisworth road (and I would say quite a while ago – possibly around 1900/1920.

The bridges which are still extant today (but may not have been the original ones) and the tramway which came over bridge 2 was diverted under the new bridge to support the quarrying in field
2. As stated, quarrying, and the subsequent support needed such as tramways were a very fluid affair. Tramways were extended to where the quarrying was. In the early 40’s the sidings of Richard Thomas’s were constructed. 3 sidings which ran parallel with the then SMJ and fed by ground frames at each end at around 68 chains from Blisworth.

https://thesmjr.ning.com/photo/gayton-wood-farm-branch?context=album&albumId=3138568:Album:9165
The line passed through a small cutting and over a slight embankment on its relatively steep journey down to the SMJ. Passing through field 1 and into field 2 it sprouted many tramways along the way and, as the quarry had passed on that way under another concrete bridge into the quarries of Gayton Wood Farm which ran down to the former Blisworth/Towcester road.

The line to Gayton Wood from Richard Thomas’s sidings was of mainline standard and at Gayton Wood farm engines sheds, a weighbridge and a maintenance department were built to service
and support the locos which worked there as well as moving, weighing etc the outgoing quarrying materials before they passed under the two concrete bridges on their way down the hill to Richard Thomas’s.

Gayton Wood was worked until 1968. It’s huge excavators a feature landmark of the Blisworth area. The noise, the sounds of drilling and excavating well know to the people of Blisworth.

Now all gone, all that remains are the over-grown memories, the engine sheds are still there at Gayton Wood and the quarrying holes have conveniently filled with water and fish! A small hut which once might have been an inspectors hut or similar sits in the middle of one of the fishing lakes, half poking out of the waters looking somewhat incongruous and in for an unsure future. The fields about are full of humps and bumps of a bygone age.

The SMJ tracked bed can be walked from bridge 3 all the way to the Walnut Inn at Blisworth which will serve you a nice drink for your efforts. There are more questions than answers along the way so if you have a few – do let me know and hopefully someone will have the corresponding answers!

The action on the map above all happens bottom left. Note Gayton House, the Tiffield/Blisworth road and all the tramways/rail lines between Gayton Wood Farm and the then N&B Junction railway.


Fechaduras

When Benjamin Bevan was given the job of designing locks at Foxton he faced two major problems. The first was water, which was in short supply on the 20 mile summit pound of the canal. The second was the steep escarpment which he needed to use to get the canal from one level to the next. He combined solutions to both problems.

Work on Foxton Locks started in 1810 and was officially opened 4 years later in 1814. A trip through the ten locks takes about 45 minutes to ascend/descend the 75 ft rise. The ten locks consist of two "staircases" of five, located on the Leicester line of the Grand Union Canal, about 5 km west of the Leicestershire town of Market Harborough.

GRAND UNION

The Grand Junction Canal was built to improve the communications between Birmingham and the Midlands and London. It received its Act in 1793 and was fully opened in 1805. Its major engineering works were the two long tunnels at Blisworth and Braunston, and the long and deep cutting at Tring summit. CONSULTE MAIS INFORMAÇÃO

INCLINED PLANE

Opened in 1900. With the coming of the railways, competition was starting to bite. Fellows Morton and Clayton (FMC) wanted to use bigger boats to take coal from the north to the London factories. The lift was built by J & H Gwynne of Hammersmith, London. They got the job as they proposed using hydraulic power for the gates and ancillary equipment. It consisted of two tanks or caissons linked by wire rope. A steam driven winch at the top wound the rope on to one side of its drum and simultaneously let it off the other, raising and lowering the tanks. Each tank was full of water and weighed 230 tons with or without a boat. Two boats or one barge would fit in to each tank. The gradient was 1 in 4. CONTINUED on Foxton Inclined Plane Trust web site

GRAND UNION LEICESTER SECTION

What is now called the &lsquoLeicester Line&rsquo comprised two canals which were bought by the Grand Junction Canal in 1894: the Leicestershire & Northamptonshire Union Canal and the &lsquoold&rsquo Grand Union Canal.

The river Soar had been made navigable up to Loughborough by 1780, and the route was extended to Leicester in 1794. The Leicestershire & Northamptonshire Union Canal was promoted to continue the waterway to Market Harborough and Northampton, where it would meet the River Nene and the planned branch from the Grand Junction Canal at Gayton.

By 1797, when construction had only reached Gumley Debdale, the money had been used up. More was raised in 1805, and the canal got to Market Harborough four years later. CONSULTE MAIS INFORMAÇÃO


How much is my home worth?

Get closer to what matters

Find an agent

Explore Zoopla

Build your business

Links to Zoopla's social media accounts

Legal and corporate information

© 2021 Zoopla Limited. Todos os direitos reservados.

Sold house prices provided by Land Registry/Registers of Scotland. © Crown copyright 2021 .

Our website is completely free for you to use but we may receive a commission from some of the companies we link to on the site.

*Zoopla Limited is an appointed representative of Uswitch Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FRN 312850) to provide this mortgage comparison service.

**Uswitch Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) under firm reference number 312850. The Home insurance comparison service is provided by Autonet Insurance Services Ltd, registered in England No. 3642372. Autonet Insurance Services Ltd has its registered office at Nile Street, Burslem, Stoke-on-Trent ST6 2BA United Kingdom. AutoNet Insurance Services Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) (Registration number: 308213).

***Based on a search within the London postcode areas (E, EC, N, NW, SE, SW, W, WC) on other UK online property portals. As of 11 Mar 2019.

List of site sources >>>


Assista o vídeo: Corte de perfiles en forma de U (Janeiro 2022).